Thanks Head-fi!
Mar 31, 2012 at 2:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FrankATL

Head-Fier
Just wanted to thank this community for all the information you make available. I am just starting my hi-fi journey, but has been fun so far!

I had spent a good deal of money on locally available (Bestbuy) headphones/earphones over a few years, and was never really happy with any of them. I had purchased many sub $50 headphones not worth mentioning. My first more expensive purchase was the Apple in ears. I thought the sound was decent, but the entire low end was missing. Next the Bose IE2. It still has it's uses for me, as it does not isolate, so is good when I can't afford to zone out and have to be able to hear surroundings (gym, jogging, etc.). I am not a big fan of it's sound though. Then the Klipsch image S4s. They sounded veiled to me, like I was listening to a stereo through a very thin wall. They were also fatiguing to me. Then the Monster iBeats. Terrible doesn't begin to describe what I thought of the sound. Muffled, bloated, unclear...just bad IEMs IMO. Last was the Bose QC15s. The noise cancellation was quite good, but the audio was not for me. It was lifeless.

Enter Head-fi and In Ear Matters (thanks ClieOS). After spending some time lurking the forums, and ClieOS' blog, I decided to try the Hifiman RE-262s. The reviews I read made them sound very interesting. I also purchased the Fiio E11 at the same time. I connected the 262s directly to my iPhone as soon as they arrived. My first impression, they sounded phenomenal. The vocals, while certainly forward, were rich and buttery smooth. The bass and treble was certainly present, and I found the recess only slight, but both supported the mids wonderfully. Then I connected to the Fiio, via an LOD. The sound signature didn't change, but surged with new life. The sound was more layered, and seemed wider. The sub bass bump the Fiio EQ provides doesn't bleed into the other frequencies either, to my ear. I was very happy with my first purchase of decent sound equipment.

I still had an urge to hear some full size cans though. In the past week I have bought two, which are night and day, and I love them both. First was Beyerdynamic DT880 premium 250 ohm. This headphone is certainly something special. To my inexperienced ear, it is completely flat, without being cold. All of the frequency response is present, and it retrieves every detail. Coming from the RE-262 though, I did kind of miss the musical coloration they provided. I wouldn't call the 880s boring, as I enjoy the fact that I can set my focus to one particular instrument, and it seems to come forward, in my head. I can pick every detail apart. I can't quite do that with the 262, the vocals tend to steal the show, but they are so fun to just listen to.

I wanted to find a fun full size can too, so today I purchased the Grado SR-325is. I am very happy with these cans too! They do not have the same signature that the 262s have, but they do have a similar fun factor. They are warm, with enough detail to enjoy. I don't find the bass lacking for my tastes, nor the treble overly bright. There doesn't seem to be any frequency range that is more pronounced than any other. More like certain parts of all the frequencies that peak a little, making them very musical. No complaints from me, and I think they are a great contrast to the 880s.

So, thanks again Head-fi. I'm really happy I found this community. I think I am done with can purchases, at least for a while. Now I have to save a bit and work on my source equipment. Next on my list is a CLAS and (if still avail when I get my funds up) a Continental V2. I like to stay portable :).

Mar 31, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #2 of 4
Glad you found Head-Fi useful. They played a phenomenal part in my journey of a starting audiophile too.

Apr 1, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 4

Quote:
Yep, a great tool. I consider sending my friends here, but fear they'd hate me when the have to file for bankruptcy, lol. Great site though.

Bankruptcy: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582951/what-is-your-money-spent-to-post-count-ratio-on-head-fi/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back