thanks for approving my request to join
May 5, 2023 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Paul Moerman

New Head-Fier
I'm a retiree in Arizona who loves many kinds of music, and have quite a bit of gear in the house, but relatively less in headphones. I recently decided to rip my 400+ cd collection to flac files and store away the physical media. Using a Mechen M30 player connected to either a receiver, or my car via usb. That is, until a few minutes ago when my mail delivered a Schiit Vali 2++ from Texas! Five minutes later, I'm listening to Blade Runner on the supplied NOS 6N3P tube, and my first impression are like wow! Oh, the headphones I'm using are beyerdynamics DT990T Pro (250 ohm). My next favorite ones are Audio Technica ATH-AD700, which I'll try later. I also own a couple Sennheiser's: HD558 and HD202. I don't expect the same spaciousness from them, but who knows?

I'm considering adding another set, and currently am checking reviews of the following: PHILIPS Fidelio X2HR, Grado sr60, Blue Lola, Sony Mdr-cd900st, and Sony MDR1AM2. I also plan to tube roll the Raytheon 5670 and IEC 5670 (just got a couple each NOS from ebay).

May 5, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm a retiree in Arizona who loves many kinds of music, and have quite a bit of gear in the house, but relatively less in headphones. I recently decided to rip my 400+ cd collection to flac files and store away the physical media. Using a Mechen M30 player connected to either a receiver, or my car via usb. That is, until a few minutes ago when my mail delivered a Schiit Vali 2++ from Texas! Five minutes later, I'm listening to Blade Runner on the supplied NOS 6N3P tube, and my first impression are like wow! Oh, the headphones I'm using are beyerdynamics DT990T Pro (250 ohm). My next favorite ones are Audio Technica ATH-AD700, which I'll try later. I also own a couple Sennheiser's: HD558 and HD202. I don't expect the same spaciousness from them, but who knows?

I'm considering adding another set, and currently am checking reviews of the following: PHILIPS Fidelio X2HR, Grado sr60, Blue Lola, Sony Mdr-cd900st, and Sony MDR1AM2. I also plan to tube roll the Raytheon 5670 and IEC 5670 (just got a couple each NOS from ebay).
Well, after reading/watching some reviews, I decided on a Sony MDR-CD900st, and have made an offer on a Sennheiser HD6xx to complement my existing 4 headphones. I'm expecting the Sony to excel on vocals, and the hd6xx seems to boast great soundstage and imaging. Playing various music through my Vali 2++ to start the tube burn-in process.

May 5, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 7

Welcome! If you are interested in audio and like to read, you have hit the motherload.
I have spent thousands and thousands of hours reading here over the years and I still do. Everytime I hear anything interesting about a headphone, an amp, a DAC, etc., I run to Head-Fi to read about it.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 7
There is a lot of information along with knowledgeable people on this site. Grab a cup of coffee or an adult beverage or two and enjoy.
I have a Vali 2++ also. It's a fun little amp.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 7
I decided to try my first planar headphones, the Hifiman HE400i. Found a like new pair on ebay just now and couldn't resist trying them out. Also have the other two on the way: Sony MDR-CD900st, and Sennheiser HD6xx. Currently listening to Bond and Beyond on my audiotechnica AD-700's, powered by a Vali 2++

May 7, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #7 of 7
The 6xx are excellent headphones. If you end up loving them check out the copper weight mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back