Thanks for all of the headphone advice
Nov 26, 2004 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

walkman666

500+ Head-Fier
Warning: Long, boring-ish post -- mostly to say thanks (and then give you another closet headphone story).

Hi, I have barely posted here as I have little to add, but feel compelled as a recent head-fi reader and then headphone shopper to thank many of the regular headphone gurus here for their knowledge and sharing. I got an iPod about a month ago and wanted to get some additional headphones to go with it. As a result of reading through many posts here and my own needs and preferences, I have made two recent headphone purchases with confidence: the Sennheiser HD-25 and the Audio-Technica ATH-A900. I've had the HD-25 for about 3 weeks now (velour pads on the way for added comfort) and am enjoying them very much with my new iPod. They are just what I needed for a good, closed (NYC subway and bus commuter), not-so-big (portable) accomplice to my iPod. My A900s are on the way from Audio Cubes. While I have not heard these yet, I believe they will be the solution to my home needs: a closed (the mrs cannot stand hearing leakage, and my 5-year old Beyerdynamic DT-231s leak, as is noted on this forum), comfy solution for home use with my iPod or my stereo (Myrad integrated amp and cd player). I really look forward to using these cans at home.

I would not have known to buy either of these two headphones without the help of this board. I went to headroom and then here, invaluable assistance.

My story (if you are bored): 40-ish NYC-based (live & work) yuppie music lover with two kids, and a wife who does not like loud music. I like loud music. I listen to mostly hard rock, metal and alternative. While I realize from much research this would make me a Grado man (225's), the open design is a deal breaker for my needs (closed at home, and closed on the street). My search for better headphone sound started about 10 years ago with my PCDP knowing that the stock phones sounded lame. With help from headroom (I've seen their site grow for a good time now), I got a pair of Koss Porta Pros. I used these for several years. When I got my nice home stereo system about six years ago, I bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-231s as a closed solution as well.

Mostly though, I used my headphones at the gym, with my PCDP. The itch to upgrade my portable 'phones came relatively recent for me compared to many of the veterans here, about three years ago. I stumbled onto the Shure canal phones reading Stereophile and got the E2cs. I loved the in-my-brain effect and improved sound quality. About a year ago I noticed that Shure had come out with a new level, the e3, which was appealing to me, because I did long for a similar canal phone that was easier to screw into my head and would not feel so obtrusive. And, I was ready for an upgrade in quality. So, I got the e3s (I use the foamies) and have loved them ever since (although I did have a pair break on me, as well as the e2s, but Shure replaced them through warranty, promptly).

About a month ago, I got an iPod (late guy on the block, but also a loyal CD user, but now am much happier with this new MP3 approach) and of course, had new headphone needs. In addition to using the Shure e3s at the gym, I wanted a portable-ish phone that I could easily take off of my head while on the street if I needed to engage the outside world. To me, the Shure's would not meet this need as I need a little bit of time and some mirror feedback to get them inserted. I needed a simpler headphone for the street. Hence, the Sennheiser HD-25. Thanks to this forum. I find this phone to work well with my music.

Lastly, and now this is spending excessive $ due to compulsive consumer/retail/headphone buying behavior (but something I think to which others here can relate...?) I now desired a headphone for home that would be similar to the Sennheiser HD-25, but be more comfortable, better quality and yet still be closed. After doing a lot of reading here of late, I got the A900s from Audio-Technica. These are on the way to me. I strongly considered the Grado's as I knew they would be best for my musical tastes, but they are open. Gong. I considered the AKG-271 as many here thought these to be a very good closed phone, especially for rock, but I also read about comfort issues. Gong. I considered another pair of Beyerdynamic, the 250s, but after seeing a pretty consistently strong pattern of favorable "all-around" reviews for the A900, I went with these. I know some have said they are not the best for my kind of music, and they are weak when it comes to midrange (e.g. female vocals), I think that overall, for my home needs, they will be "just fine" (more than just fine, but you get my meanin').

So, that is my story, kinda "in-progress." The major impetus for my posting is that I felt that I must saying "thanks" to many of you (and you know who you are) as you have directly helped me make what I am certain to be some solid (and significant) headphone purchases. So, thanks.

Oh, while I'm at it, some measly questions:

. Are there any sound quality concerns associated with replacing the HD-25's pleather pads with the velour one's?

. Any thoughts about my purchase of the A900s'? (overkill having the HD-25? poor match for my musical preferences?). I might as well know now as there is a 15-day return period.

thanks, - walkman

Nov 26, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 4
Your welcome, if I contributed in any way. "Overkill" is a relative term, but if you havn't found anything that really rocks your world yet the A900 is definitely worth a try. Unfortunately, finding the right headphone can be an expensive process of trial and error, but it's worth it in the end. Good luck.
wink.gif

Nov 26, 2004 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
. Are there any sound quality concerns associated with replacing the HD-25's pleather pads with the velour one's?

walkman, this is copied and pasted from my HD 25 review as you might find it helpful:
"Soundwise I remarked no difference at all. The pad’s surface material (pleather and velour) does not come in contact with the sound and the material on the backs of both pleather and velour pads are of the same material. I doubt the reflections of sound from the ears onto the pleather/velour and back to the ears would exert a noticeable change in sound. Nonetheless, if this was the case, I would expect the velour to have slightly superior sonic abilities due to its higher absorption capability."
There are also some pics in the review where you could visually verify the statement from above.As you have stated yourself, they are great for increasing the comfort.
Enjoy your new A900.

Nov 26, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks mucho GlowWorm and saint.panda. Appreciate the input. Yeah, saint.panda, I did read your review of the HD-25 but I guess with reading everything else, I forgot about your assessment of the pleather vs. the velour pads. Thanks for copying & pasting into this thread. Accordingly, I've found your review again and re-read it.

GlowWorm, regarding this expensive trial & error hobby. Yeah, I know what you mean. I'd like to think "I'm done" (for now) with the A900 as I'll have all of my bases covered (shure's for gym, HD-25 for roaming, A900 for highest quality and comfort in lazy mode). I am hoping/assuming the A900s will be noticeable superior to the HD-25's.

thx, walkman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back