Thanks everyone
Jun 13, 2004 at 2:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mrwinick

100+ Head-Fier
I've been lurking for the past few months. Originally I was looking for information about noise cancelling headphones for my ipod. It didn't take long to realize that what I really wanted was sound isolating canal phones. (I didn't know such a thing existed) So, based on the advice of you fine people I purchased shure E3c's and have been smiling ever since. Seriously. It took a few weeks for the uncontrollable smiling every time I used them to stop. I've always appreciated music. I just had no idea what I was missing. It was as if a veil had been lifted. Now, I find myself LOVING music. What a difference. Recently, I had a revelation though. Why should I only get great music on the train? Why not at home too? Don't I deserve great music at home? Sure I do. Sorry about my wallet......... So, I've spent a great deal of time reading the reviews of various cans in this forum. That was more than a little overwhelming. So many cans. So many opinions. My first inclination was to ignore the general advice to get a headphone amp, and just buy something that would work well without and save the money. Well, this past weekend I visited a local hifi store and had a chance to listen to grado 225's, Sennheiser 590's, 600's and 650's. My untrained ears noticed better clarity with each can in the progression. The biggest difference I noticed was the jump from the 590 to the 600. Not only was there greater detail, but layers of depth were added. The 650's offered even more clarity. While listening to the various cans, though, I noticed something. When I listened to the 600's I couldn't stop smiling. That didn't happen with the 650's. I don't know why that was the case, but for the time being just recognizing that was more important than understanding why. The very nice salesman, recognizing that I didn't want to spend a fortune at that moment hadn't hooked me up to a headphone amp though. I asked him to, and the clouds parted and I felt myself get that much closer to heaven. Holy cow! Are you kidding me? Are you sure these are the same cans? It all makes sense now. I must have a headphone amp and great cans. Period. My poor wife never should have allowed that visit. I'm now sitting at my computer listening to The Oscar Peterson Trio + one (Clark Terry) with my Sennheiser 600's and loving life. I'm so excited about the home-vibe that Norm is going to build for me that I can't stand it. This is going to be a long two weeks. Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you. This site is an amazing resource.

Jun 13, 2004 at 3:19 AM Post #2 of 6
Congratulations, really.
I don't have the money to make my home experience as good as my portable experience (obviously they're different cases but you know what I mean) as of yet, but I hope to make a step similar to yours sometime, if I can get a job.

Jun 13, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 6
Congratulations on finding what you like. Interesting that you liked the 600s better than the 650s but it's great that you listened to YOUR ears. I haven't heard the 600s so I can't make a comparison.
Anyway, I'm glad you're happy. Now, just stop and listen to and enjoy the music!

Jun 13, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 6
congrats, always great to hear headphones changing people's perspective of things.

hope you enjoy the vibe, but i recommend you go to one of the head-fi meets. the equipments there will be more than what you can find at any shop.

Jun 13, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrwinick
I'm now sitting at my computer listening to The Oscar Peterson Trio + one (Clark Terry) with my Sennheiser 600's and loving life. I'm so excited about the home-vibe that Norm is going to build for me that I can't stand it. This is going to be a long two weeks. Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you. This site is an amazing resource.

I think you'll like the combo (the home vibe has really livened up my 600s vs. the Meta42 I was using before), but highly recommend the dual AD8610 (or AD8620) op amp over anything from Burr-Brown. Or another Analog Devices opamp, the sonic signature seems to go with Senns like butter goes with bread.

P.S. one downside to the home-vibe is the 1/8" minijack... if you ever get an upgrade cable for the Senns you'll need an adapter.

Jun 13, 2004 at 1:13 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt San
Congratulations, really.
I don't have the money to make my home experience as good as my portable experience (obviously they're different cases but you know what I mean) as of yet, but I hope to make a step similar to yours sometime, if I can get a job.

There's more to life than headphones. Keep your priorities right. If you can afford it that's great but if can't don't get up in it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back