Thanks all
Jun 26, 2002 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jaggers

New Head-Fier
Just wanted to extend my thanks to the community for such informative, intelligent posting. I've always loved music and film, and have until recently focused on my home theatre set-up, never considering headphones as an option. My wife and I are heading to Greece for 5 weeks in July, and to ease the pain of the extended flight we decided to purchase a portable DVD player (Toshiba SD-P2000 - http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/portable...t/SDP2000.html).

Realizing that I needed good cans for this, I started researching and landed here. <Insert angels singing, harps, etc.> Although I was intrigued by the "Coaxial Digital Audio Output" and "Virtual surround sound," these forums gave me an immediate distrust of any built-in amp, as well as a strong desire to empty the bank account.
biggrin.gif

Lo! Tonight I found myself, after 2 weeks of reading and rereading the great threads here, ordering the ER-4Ps, the 4S adapter just in case, and the TAH amp (and the ER-6 for the wife - not the audio nut I am), as well as a few bonuses for the trip (Sennheiser adapter, Kimber splitter). I'm pumped!

A few questions:

1. I've read warnings about using a splitter (2 headphones out of one amp), specifically impedance. The recommendation is use the same two headphones...do you guys think the ER-4P and ER-6 are close enough to handle this? What kind of problems should I encounter/expect from this choice when my wife and I travel together?
2. Do Etys need a break in like other cans? the TAH amp also? What would you all recommend?

Many thanks again, such a big help for me.

Jun 26, 2002 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 4
1. if you use 2 heapdhones of different impedances and sensitivity ratings, one will probably sound louder than the other. the 4P and the 6 have the same impedance, so no probs there., nut from comaprisons I think the 4P will be (a bit) louder than the 6 as it's more efficient/sensitive. this could lead to the situation where one is not comfortable cause it's too loud, the other not comfortable cause it's not loud enough, but it should eb pretty close anyway. although I'm just going on what I've read here, I think you'll be fine.

2. the amp break-in I'm a little sceptical about, but a few hours of regualr excersize shouldn't hurt it. the headphones brobably need some warming up, and you might need some getting used to. but it's not like you can't use them before they're 'done'. keep em running overnight a couple of times and you're set.

Jun 26, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, Braver. I had read posts from many ER-4* users that there was an adjustment period to the different sound of the Etys, but once made the conversion was almost religious. Still, this brain-adjustment period makes sense to me, whereas I never really understood the concept of breaking headphones in, and still don't, although it seems to be universally accepted here.

Jun 26, 2002 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 4
there are so many theories on break-in as there are audiophiles
rolleyes.gif
but, without wanting to go in a discussion about it, one theory would be that, like all things with moving parts, headphones loosen up a bit the first hours when they're new. which should have an effect on sound. aside all the controvery, most everyone who ever owned a Grado heapdhone will agree that 'something' changes.

basically, you can't avoid it happening, so just take it as it comes.

good luck with your package BTW, should be sweett on-the-go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back