Thanks a lot head-fi.....
Jul 9, 2009 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

tvrboy

1000+ Head-Fier
I joined head-fi this april when i was looking for new headphones in the $30 range. Didn't know anything about headphones or hi-fi back then. Look what you all made me do:

2009-07-09-67895.jpg

2009-07-09-68015.jpg

2009-07-09-68031.jpg

2009-07-09-67953.jpg

2009-06-27-60427.jpg

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 23
Someof that money coulda been well spent on a camera. jk
Seriously nice array there. i'm jealous

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nhancakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someof that money coulda been well spent on a camera. jk
Seriously nice array there. i'm jealous

perhaps. i don't own a camera. these were taken as static photos by my webcam. and yes, my cat thinks that everything i buy is "for him"

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 23
what i want to know is if you ever got the 30 dollar budget headphones you wanted

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 23
Are those beyer DT48E? Old version or? You picked them second hand?
How do you like them compared to sr225i?

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #11 of 23
He !
tongue.gif

Kinda remind me of myself !Was looking for the best way to spend around 60 or 80 bucks and end up knowing it was possible to spend more then 1k for headphones and stuff !
And believe me , its not over !
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So, tell us about how those headphones sound and compare.

OK, this is a lot of info, but you asked..................

SR-225i: As soon as I heard these I thought "yes, all those people on head-fi were exactly right." Perfect for electric guitars. These headphones seem to emphasize guitars above any other instrument. Back to back with the HD-650 this comes across as a kind of coloration, but it's not too noticeable in isolation. The sound seems clear enough but compared with my other headphones fine detail resolution is poor. I demo'd these with the SR-125i and noticed increase bass emphasis and very slightly increased details with the 225. The bass is nice and taut, but rolls off at low frequencies. Comfort is actually ok after all the warnings I heard, but the build quality is appalling. Some products made with glue are great (lotus elise!) but these could have been assembled better by my cat. Cables are unnecessarily thick, probably for marketing purposes.

HD-650: I like these a lot. They have a nice, balanced sound IMO. Something about them is just very euphonic. They sound nicely musical. Maybe this is the result of a coloration, but I like it. Frankly, I don't hear the treble coloration some people talk about. I also don't think they are veiled, they just need to be amped right. Bass is very realistic and powerful. I really enjoy listening to vocalists because the HD-650 is detailed without being overly so. I can hear various clicks and pops in the background of my mp3s that I couldn't hear with the SR-225i. Build quality is really nice. These are truly germanic products. If you've ever seen the interior of a late model audi, then you know what I mean. When you take them apart everything is logical and modular, unlike grados.

DT-48e: Bought these used, the seller did not know what year they are. All i can say is :what a difference from everything I've heard before. These have a truly flat response with awesome detail resolution. No bass weight at all. Honestly, almost every type of music sounds horrible with these. The only thing I use them for is female vocals with do sound really good. If any DT48 owners have suggestions about what to listen to, let me know! Build quality is solid. Only headphones that I need a socket wrench to adjust.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdkJake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey tvrboy, I see your Darkvoice arrived!

What do you think so far? Are you enjoying what tubes bring to the HD650?

jk

(fellow HD650/SR225i owner)

I love the darkvoice, but I'm afraid I have no similar solid-state amp to compare it to. In isolation, it's a great value. I paid $161 for the amp and $80 for shipping. The chassis is all metal with very nice brushed faceplates and knurled volume knob. I do think the 650 sounds good with this amp - very euphoic and musical. I can also say that DV customer service is awesome. The guys at the factory were very accommodating and contacted me directly to make sure i was happy. I looked at some other amps from keces, little dot, woo, meijer audio, musical fidelity, but the DV was a lot cheaper and i am very satisfied with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back