Thank you Metal-fi'ers! \mm/
Dec 2, 2006 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

ElChupahueso

100+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all the Metal-fi'ers out there for all the awesome music i've been listening to recently because of your suggestions. Dudes like Aman, DarkAngel and Enverxis, and others who i can't remember off the top of my head. THANK YOU!

\mm/ <-- Too much metal for one hand!

Dec 3, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 41
I hope your wallet is bottomless.... otherwise you will retract those words
icon10.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope your wallet is bottomless.... otherwise you will retract those words
icon10.gif

Far from bottomless.
rolleyes.gif
But that's ok. It's one of the best upgrades i've ever made. Totally worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupahueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all the Metal-fi'ers out there for all the awesome music i've been listening to recently because of your suggestions. Dudes like Aman, DarkAngel and Enverxis, and others who i can't remember off the top of my head. THANK YOU!

\mm/ <-- Too much metal for one hand!

What in particular have you been enjoying?

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Floodedstatue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What in particular have you been enjoying?

That's what I wanted to ask.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 41
I've been loving Tiamat, Finntroll, Therion, Avantasia, Candlemass, Savatage, Stratovarius, Edenbridge, Edguy and Helloween to name a few. I've actually gone back and given Iron Maiden a second try and found that i really like them now. (Listen to Beast Over Hammersmith and Rock In Rio) I don't know why i didn't care for them, just didn't click with my tastes at the time. And then in the biggest turnaround for me at least, Opeth. At the suggestion of countless members, i got Blackwater Park. I gave it a good listen, and got annoyed by it. The back and forth of the vocals between cookie monster, (metal by numbers, 1 - 2 - 3, COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE!) and normal i found irritating. Then on one of the tracks, (can't remember now), it felt like it should've ended three times, but kept going. So yeah, it bugged me. Then maybe 7 months or so go by and i give it a second spin, and found that I really like them now. Go figure.

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElChupahueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been loving Tiamat, Finntroll, Therion, Avantasia, Candlemass, Savatage, Stratovarius, Edenbridge, Edguy and Helloween to name a few. I've actually gone back and given Iron Maiden a second try and found that i really like them now. (Listen to Beast Over Hammersmith and Rock In Rio) I don't know why i didn't care for them, just didn't click with my tastes at the time. And then in the biggest turnaround for me at least, Opeth. At the suggestion of countless members, i got Blackwater Park. I gave it a good listen, and got annoyed by it. The back and forth of the vocals between cookie monster, (metal by numbers, 1 - 2 - 3, COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE!) and normal i found irritating. Then on one of the tracks, (can't remember now), it felt like it should've ended three times, but kept going. So yeah, it bugged me. Then maybe 7 months or so go by and i give it a second spin, and found that I really like them now. Go figure.

Oh, boy.... you are screwed now. Opeth is a gateway drug. Prepare for the musical ride of your life. You now need to get the rest of their discography, as they are metal perfected. There is nobody like Opeth.

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 41
everyone likes different Opeth albums more, Morningrise and Ghost Reveries are my favorites but some people think I'm a cucumber rapist for actually liking the latter and swear by their My Arms, Your Hearse through Blackwater Park output. so enjoy wasting lots of money there!

if you're still looking for a few things to try, have you heard Ruun and Mardraum by Enslaved, Bergtatt by Ulver, and/or La Masquerade Infernale and The Sham Mirrors by Arcturus? if not, I definitely would--most of them are rooted in black metal to varying degrees but are by no stretch forty-five minutes of blastbeats with overlayed shrieking recorded in somebody's outhouse, the Arcturus ones have a collective one shrieky song between 'em.

Dec 5, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Oh, boy.... you are screwed now. Opeth is a gateway drug. Prepare for the musical ride of your life. You now need to get the rest of their discography, as they are metal perfected. There is nobody like Opeth.

Yeah,...uhm...
rolleyes.gif
I kinda,...uhm...bought them all. Still trying to listen to them. EEP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you're still looking for a few things to try, have you heard Ruun and Mardraum by Enslaved, Bergtatt by Ulver, and/or La Masquerade Infernale and The Sham Mirrors by Arcturus? if not, I definitely would--most of them are rooted in black metal to varying degrees but are by no stretch forty-five minutes of blastbeats with overlayed shrieking recorded in somebody's outhouse, the Arcturus ones have a collective one shrieky song between 'em.

Well, when i'm in the mood for blastbeats, i'll go listen to The Locust. Saw them live with Rocket From The Crypt. CRAZY! Oddly enough, i've been listening to Cattle Decapitation for 4 or 5 years now. Grabbed it at the same time i got Clikitat Ikatowi. But i digress. Lately i've been on this power metal kick. I blame it completely on the infectiousness of the Metalocalypse theme music. So i've been checking out 3 Inches of Blood as well as Battlelore. (I already listen to Manowar and Blind Guardian) Right now my problem is I have so much new stuff that it's getting backlogged. Oh well, i have Christmas break comming up after next week. So i'll be able to listen to more music then.

Dec 5, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
everyone likes different Opeth albums more, Morningrise and Ghost Reveries are my favorites but some people think I'm a cucumber rapist for actually liking the latter and swear by their My Arms, Your Hearse through Blackwater Park output. so enjoy wasting lots of money there!

Morningrise and MAYH for me
tongue.gif
although I am very fond of Damnation as well.

ElChupahueso: don't forget stuff like Virgin Black, The Gathering, Agalloch, Draconian etc
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

I don't listen to any metal except Opeth. I'm not familiar with the genre and haven't been to impressed with most metal.

Are there any other bands you would suggest based on my affinity for Opeth?
I'm not lookig for the growling. It is the amazing transitions (and songwriting in general) and fine musicianship that I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back