Thank You Etymotics, and thank-you Head-Fi!
May 21, 2003 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

88keys

New Head-Fier
I don't know if this is the right area for this thread, but I just HAVE to share my happiness. I just got a pair of ER4Ps, like 5 hours ago, and...wow.

I have never heard anything the like. Thanks to all of you for convincing me that they were worth trying...ain't NO WAY I'm giving them back.

My sincerest appreciation. You are a beautiful bunch. I love you all.
88keys

May 21, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 6
888keys

Once ya hear em, you're addicted, there's no turning back
evil_smiley.gif

And now you know why we Ety lovers preech so much about them and force other people to buy them
very_evil_smiley.gif

No, in all faireness, they are REALLY good earphones that sound better than most full sized cans, and I am glad your able to enjoy the music in just about the best way possible!

May 21, 2003 at 2:01 PM Post #4 of 6
Glad your enjoying the wonders of Etymotics! Truly a remarkable experience when you first listen to music with Etys for the first time (and you have a good seal)! Like listening to your CD collection for the first time.

Now for the bad news... Since you're now hooked, enjoy the moment (that moment of pure audio bliss). Slowly but surely, you'll start to wonder what other phones might sound like.... and you'll end up trying them (FYI: very few can provide the detail and clarity that the ER4 provides, but other phones do have different properties that you might enjoy).

Slowly but surely, you'll end up looking for amps to improve the sound.

Slowly but surely, you'll start looking at your system and looking for weak points in the system.... new source, new interconnects, tubes, tweaks, portable system, main rig, bedroom system...

This viscious cycle never ends until you run out of money. Hence the traditional headfi greeting, "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet."

Sorry. But, welcome to the (addiction) club!

When you're ready, definately should consider adding the S adapter cable. Just a simple cable (which can be removed just by unplugging) that adds a bit of resistance to the ER4P to make it the ER4S. The sound is AMAZING! Hard to imagine that such a simple addition can cause dramatic improvements in sound quality, but it does. Unfortunately, the added resistance means that you'll probably have to add an amp to make the ER4S really sing.

Congratulations!!

Bruce

May 21, 2003 at 2:07 PM Post #5 of 6
interesting, what's their price range? =). They're probably >$100 bucks huh? Should I stick with my Alessandro MS1's? (Gonna be ordering them soon!) Of course, they're different in portability and i'm getting cans and not earbuds. But I think i'd need cans more for gaming anyway. hm..

flip

May 21, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by BDA_ABAT
Glad your enjoying the wonders of Etymotics! Truly a remarkable experience when you first listen to music with Etys for the first time (and you have a good seal)! Like listening to your CD collection for the first time.

Now for the bad news... Since you're now hooked, enjoy the moment (that moment of pure audio bliss). Slowly but surely, you'll start to wonder what other phones might sound like.... and you'll end up trying them (FYI: very few can provide the detail and clarity that the ER4 provides, but other phones do have different properties that you might enjoy).

Slowly but surely, you'll end up looking for amps to improve the sound.

Slowly but surely, you'll start looking at your system and looking for weak points in the system.... new source, new interconnects, tubes, tweaks, portable system, main rig, bedroom system...

This viscious cycle never ends until you run out of money. Hence the traditional headfi greeting, "Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet."

Sorry. But, welcome to the (addiction) club!

When you're ready, definately should consider adding the S adapter cable. Just a simple cable (which can be removed just by unplugging) that adds a bit of resistance to the ER4P to make it the ER4S. The sound is AMAZING! Hard to imagine that such a simple addition can cause dramatic improvements in sound quality, but it does. Unfortunately, the added resistance means that you'll probably have to add an amp to make the ER4S really sing.

Congratulations!!

Bruce

ARG I'm afraid to say, but it's already begun...I spent 4 hours last night figuring out how to do a MINT. And with the MINT parts, I plan to order the 80Ohm resistors necessary for building myself that 4P->4S cable. My prayer, however, is that I feel sated for at least 5 years after this.

The 4Ps were purchased from a friend of mine. I thought about getting them new, but 1) shipping would have taken forever to India and 2) most places don't ship to India and 3) his phones were in perfect condition and $50 off the new price (which is 235 on eBay for new ones).

Peace and love to you all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back