TH-900 crackling sound with new DAC...
Jan 8, 2015 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

chancee

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!  Hoping someone can help me with a problem I'm having.  I just bought the TH-900's a few months ago and I just got the Anedio D2 for Christmas.  I'm getting a very faint crackling sound during certain areas of all my songs.  Especially with women's voices when they hit a really strong note...  It sounds a bit like it does when an MP3 deteriorates when playing back on a high-end setup.  

My setup is pretty simple so I'm not sure what the problem could be.  I'm not even using a separate amp, I'm just using the amp on the DAC with my headphone plugged into the front.  I'm playing FLAC files on Jriver and Audirvana.  I get the results both places.  My USB cord is a wireworld cable.  Brand new.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks... Chance

Jan 10, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 2
Sounds like some interference from a digital or radio source. Try unplugging or moving Wifi routers, cell phones, etc. and check if the sound goes away.

Less likely is that the USB port is suspect. You could try a different USB port and see if the sound goes away.

It may also be a timing issue on the computer end. Highly unlikely, since the design is probably an asynchronous design, but you could try using straight Direct Sound on Windows or whatever the default Mac option is for sound output. Along these lines, you could also try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers.

Possible, but also highly unlikely is that there is some DC offset at the output of the headphone amp. This could cause a crackling sound. You could try a different set of headphones and see if the sound persists. Also try using the line-out on the DAC and route it to another amp and check if the sound is still there. This will help to narrow down where the problem is stemming from.

Last but not least, have you contacted tech support for your DAC? They should also be able to help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back