TF10 Custom tips?
Aug 31, 2009 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

blackwave

New Head-Fier
I've officially diagnosed myself as having weird ear canals. I could never get a good fit or seal with any tips on my RE2s and now I'm having trouble with my new (to me) Triple.fi 10 pros. I tried comply tips but I really don't like how it throws a wet blanket over the highs (I like a crisp sound.) The closest was the bi-flange tips which made a good seal if I could get them in just the right spot, but they very quickly worked themselves out. I've tried the flip mod and with them positioned in lots of directions.

Soooo.. that brings me to custom tips. The Listenhear people look tempting because they're in the US and have a good price. Has anyone used them for the TF10? I'd really like to keep my business in the US, so are there any other good places? My only requirements are that it doesn't make them stick out of my head more than they already do, and that the material allows the highs to sparkle.

Thoughts?

Thank yo!

Chris

Aug 31, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 9
I saw that custom remold thread. I'm a little hesitant about replacing the manufacturer's housing, probably for no good reason. I guess from my perspective I'm just trying to improve the fit and the custom tip works to that end. I can understand the allure, though!

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 9
Have you tried getting Shure olives on?

I haven't been able to get them on my SF.5, but there was a thread about getting them on TF.10s, which many have done.

I agree though, the comply tips are aweful for sound quality. however, the shure tips sit properly (pics i've seen) so they don't close off the bores when in your ears like comply... maybe you should try that?

EDIT: found the thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/awe...ple-fi-232939/

didn't work for me, but i wasn't trying very hard.

the smallest of the silicone tips work OK for me. I have a good seal in my left ear, and a very loose one in my right. but i'm getting customs pretty soon, so it's not bothering me much
tongue.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 9
It would only cost you $88 USD plus shipping to get them remolded from UM. I've been talking to "Sam" for a little while and they definitely know what they're doing over there in China. I was originally gonna get my TF10s remolded with the additional driver but decided just to wait for their own quad driver IEM to be released sometime in September.

Just my opinion, if I had to choose between silly little custom tips or the entire custom shell, the choice is easy. Besides, customs look so damn cool.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Oh, I was under the impression (or assumption I guess) that it would be much more expensive. What's the perk for having it remolded? Sorry if that's a newbie question! They're cool, yeah, but then what? Any resale value is shot as well, right?

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 9
I'm getting customs through livewire. I'm getting livewire duels.

They're costing me $250, with free impressions (because i live locally to their company, and could get it done by them).

Duel drivers may be a downgrade from TF.10s, but many people love them so i thought i'd give'm a try.

should get them by friday or monday next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back