Texas vehicle emission laws....
Oct 9, 2007 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Prozakk

Banned
I can't seen to find any regulations reguarding at what point the exhaust tip must exit past. My truck has a flowmaster muffler that has a turn-down tip right after the muffler. The problem is that it is very close to the rear differential housing. Too much heat being dumped on the rear axle/differential. I'd like to shorten the total exhaust length by a foot or 2. I've heard it must exit: after the cab, 1 foot after the cab, behind the rear wheel. I don't know which is true. The TX Dot regulations only state that there must be functional muffler and emission systems. Nothing on length.

Help me please...

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The rules are up on the DPS inspection site. The exhaust must exit to the top, side, or rear of a passenger compartment. No distance requirement. If your truck has a camper or hardshell top, the bed counts as a passenger compartment.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp...ejectsubmit=Go

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

I like the way my trucks exhaust is all tucked up in the frame (no visible exhaust system). This way nothing gets messed up when 4-wheeling. It just exited too close to the differential for my liking. Looks like I can shorten it 2 feet or so. I'll have it done after I put a cold air intake & headers on my truck.

Another bonus is having a louder truck to get back at a Harley owner 2 doors down, and a loud truck next door. Both like reving up motors for no reason other than being annoying. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back