Teufel Concept B 200 USB or M-Audio Studiophile AV40
Apr 2, 2010 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

digitor

New Head-Fier
Hi All

Recently, my Logitech Z-2300's died which prompted me to look for newer options. I'm happy to shell out AU$ 300-400 on this new purchase. I already have a Xonar Essence sound card installed in my comp. I predominantly listen to jazz, electronic and instrumental music and quality music-playback is the main reason why I'm looking out for new speakers (i.e. not for gaming/ home theatre/5.1).

Based on the various reviews scattered on the net it seems like Teufel Concept B 200 USB or M Audio AV 40 is the way to go.

Now, I know there is a price difference of $100 between the two. Also, Teufuels have got an integrated amplifier in them. Based on the aforementioned facts, following are my queries:

1. Which speaker’s sound quality is better?
2. Should I bother with Teufel (with an integrated amplifier) at all as I have Xonar Essence installed in my system?
3. Any other possible suggestions (quality, I'm after, over quantity)?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Apr 2, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 6
^ It seems like no-one over here is a Teufel Concept B 200 USB user, which is understandable as it is only 5-6 months old.

Let me rephrase my question, whats the best 2/2.1 speakers money can buy around $400? Also, are Audioengine 5 worth their price?

Apr 3, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #3 of 6
I would devinitively go with a proper pair of speakers and forget the teufel crap. The teufel stuff might be a step upwards to your logitech system but i really doubt that it´s suited for music listening as a pair of hifi speakers. I know the teufel stuff very well because i´m living in germany and lots of people ( mostly pc nerds ) own those systems. The good reviews they get mostly from PC hardware magazines and the reviewers their have no puta idea about hifi. You can´t demo the crap at dealers because they only sell off their webpage.

The cheap Teufel systems are well for some pc gaming and the typical bang boom bang sound and their bigger systems dedicated to home theater ( not for music listening though ). I would go with some nice PSB speakers instead, they offer alot for the money and hifi people i know who heard some of their latest products were just stunned looking on the pricetag.

I don´t know the Audioengine speakers but they seem to bee a nice choice too.

Don´t forget to take a listen before you buy, visit a dealer near you and take some music you listen to
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All

Recently, my Logitech Z-2300's died which prompted me to look for newer options. I'm happy to shell out AU$ 300-400 on this new purchase. I already have a Xonar Essence sound card installed in my comp. I predominantly listen to jazz, electronic and instrumental music and quality music-playback is the main reason why I'm looking out for new speakers (i.e. not for gaming/ home theatre/5.1).

Based on the various reviews scattered on the net it seems like Teufel Concept B 200 USB or M Audio AV 40 is the way to go.

Now, I know there is a price difference of $100 between the two. Also, Teufuels have got an integrated amplifier in them. Based on the aforementioned facts, following are my queries:

1. Which speaker’s sound quality is better?
2. Should I bother with Teufel (with an integrated amplifier) at all as I have Xonar Essence installed in my system?
3. Any other possible suggestions (quality, I'm after, over quantity)?

Any help will be much appreciated.

I use the Xonar Essence as well and had the AV40s but recently upgraded to the M-Audio BX5As. If you are willing to spend $300-400, I would skip the AV40s and get the BX5As.

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me rephrase my question, whats the best 2/2.1 speakers money can buy around $400? Also, are Audioengine 5 worth their price?

I own both A5 and M-Audio BX5a and to me the BX5a's value is better. It's cheaper and to my ears, it sounds less bloated with great highs compared to the A5.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 6
I was in a similar position as you find yourself in and after reading mainly good reviews of the Concept B200's I took the plunge and ordered a pair. When I received them one of the feet was broken clean off of a speaker. I rigged them up anyway just to see what they sounded like and I have to admit they weren't too bad. Not "hi-fi", but far better than any other pc speakers I had heard.

So I sent them off for a replacement pair. A week later the replacements duly arrived and they were intact. I hooked them up looking forward to finally getting some sounds again and was seriously p****d off to find one channel was dead. I switched the speakers around and diagnosed the fault as being with the amplifier. I sent them back for a full refund and a pretty stern email and the reply I got from them stated that they "regretted" that I found the speakers "not to my liking"! Can you believe that? The speakers - both pairs, remember - were fugazi. I wouldn't take another pair if I won them in a Christmas cracker.

It's a shame really because the "concept" is a good one, but the execution was terrible.

Now I just listen to my Shure's and save for a good can amp, my wife doesn't need to listen to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back