Teufel B200 USB vs Audioengine A2
Jan 27, 2012 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ACST

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some good 2.0 computer speakers. At the moment I have a Logitech z-4 set and a creative xi-fi gamer sound card.
Budget is max. €250,-
I did do some research and but got lost in a web of options, what I did found is this:
Teufel B200 USB
http://www.teufelaudio.com/pc/concept-b-200-usb-p1034.html

Got some pretty good reviews and I like the speaker/amp combination.
But I leave it up to you guys if there are better options, maybe in combination with a better sound card/amp or something like that.
Don't have much knowledge about speakers, so please not to difficult answers
biggrin.gif

I would like it if the parts have a good availability in the Netherlands.

Already thanks for the advices.

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Did some more research and it basically comes down to this:
Which one's better

"audioengine a2"

or

"Teufel Concept B200"

Answers would be much appreciated.

Feb 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 10
Avoid the a2's unless you really like mid-bass, a better alternative is the samson media one 3a or if you have the space Numark NPM5 both are cheaper aswell.

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 10
Hi ACST, I am new here and I just saw your question.

I just got both of them in front of me:
Teufel Concept B200 (USB-link to PC) and
Audioengine A2, which is connected to the PC via a Beresford Caiman external DAC (optical link to PC).

Surely, the Caiman is a higher quality DAC-solution than the Teufel built in one. There is also an additional [size=11.0pt]£100[/size] to be paid for the Caiman/A2 solution over the Concept B200 alone. Other advantages of the Beresford however are a preamp function, so you can adjust the sound level at the front (A2s have it at the back), it adds two coaxial inputs, an optical input over the B200 and importantly a nice Class A headphone amp producing a more spacious and detailed sound.

I was just briefly comparing both setups this way because normally you wouldn't buy a DAC and the Teufel speakers, given there is an Teufel amp but for the A2s, the external preamp/DAC adds functions making it in this sense a more similar system to the Teufel B200. The A2-speakers may need more burn in, so I may update this post later.

Update after 12 hours of operation and additional listening:

As a first impression, the B200 produces a clear, open sound with a tendency to be clinically clean. You feel a certain drive to increase the volume and to enjoy the dynamic sound. There is kick bass with pressure, sub-bass is present as well, noticeably more than with the A2. There is a nicely broad stage, but it is rather flat. Highs are a bit on the edgier side. Violins and other mids lack a silky shine. What I miss is a certain warmth and breathing of voices, for example when Katie Melua sings Mary Pickford. Voices and instruments populating the mids are present but they have little body. Over all, the sound is great if you like a chill type of sound with dynamics.  

The A2 has a warmer sound and voices have more body. The sound is more natural as well. The stage is wider and much deeper with more details, for example in Michael Jackson's Thriller. This is probably emphasized by the Beresford Caiman support. In comparison to the B200, Bruce Springsteen is not cold anymore and moves closer to you on the stage. This is the big advantage over the B200. On the other hand, the bass has a little less punch and the deep bass is mostly missing. The lack of deep bass shall be forgiven given their tiny size. Highs are not sharp, rather comfortably silky, which makes violins enjoyable. The basic representation is like this, also without this external DAC. The sound is neutral and natural. Norah Jones and Vivaldi say thank you.

In summary, both do very good jobs in their rights. The Teufel B200 produces a cleaner, more dynamic but also harder sound with a wide but flat sound stage. The A2s sound more natural and warmer with an even wider soundstage. Although I like the Teufel temptation, the A2 is my favourite due to the the natural sound and the ability to shape out voices.

I hope you enjoyed my speaker impressions =)

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the reaction still looking for new speakers.
Narrowed it down to the teufel concept B200, Audioengine a2+fiio e10 or the Swan M10.
Problem is that though it looks like the Swan are the best price/quality there €170,- in Holland which in comparison with for example the USA is quite expensive.

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 10
Just a little addition to improve the A2's sound: Try putting four penny coins under the central part of the stands to decouple the speakers from the desk. I suppose some bloating reported before may be due to coupling of the speakers with the surface. Decoupling helped for me to remove some distortion when increasing the volume and made the mids sound noticeably opener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back