Testing frequencies.
May 23, 2007 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 16
I use NCH Tone Generator. You can use it direct from your computer, or you can save tones as wav-files with specified duration and frequenzy. Sine, square, triangle, pink- or white noise etc.

May 23, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #5 of 16
For a tone/noise generator:
http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/index.html
free can't be beat
cool.gif
This even does sweeps and different types of waves. Sine wave, square wave, triangular waveform, saw tooth waveform, impulse, white noise and pink noise.
This also does log/linear sweeps and has an option for mono/stereo.

May 24, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #7 of 16
Thanks, i tryed nch, one problem I have noticed is that when I get over 17000hz a loud peep is heard that overshadows the real 17000hz peep.

What can it be?
Maybe it is my soundcard, a realtek AV97 Audio.

May 24, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, i tryed nch, one problem I have noticed is that when I get over 17000hz a loud peep is heard that overshadows the real 17000hz peep.

What can it be?

Yes, it could possibly be a faulty resample.

May 24, 2007 at 11:40 AM Post #9 of 16
May 24, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What can it be?

At that high a frequency your second peep is probably some kind of second order harmonic.

May 24, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At that high a frequency your second peep is probably some kind of second order harmonic.

It can't be a second order harmonic of 17kHz since that would be 34kHz and that's way to high up to hear.

May 24, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can't be a second order harmonic of 17kHz since that would be 34kHz and that's way to high up to hear.

sounds like harmonic distortion then as opposed to just harmonics... either that or the sound card's DAC can't handle those high freqs (I've experienced similar probs in the past with sines approaching the Nyquist freqs).

May 24, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like harmonic distortion then as opposed to just harmonics... either that or the sound card's DAC can't handle those high freqs (I've experienced similar probs in the past with sines approaching the Nyquist freqs).

The term harmonic distortion implies that harmonics of the fundamental frequency are apparent.

I like to use NCH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back