Tested: the new-design DT770 "hifi", and compared to older Beyers and W1000
Dec 28, 2005 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

JensL

100+ Head-Fier
I've had the new Beyerdynamic DT770-250 non-pro Hifi-edition on loan for a few days now, as I am curious to hear if there any significant differences to my good old DT770-250 Pro and some other of my phones.
Here's just a few thoughts of mine. Not to be taken too seriously.
tongue.gif

The new design/construction is covered in this thread (with pics).

[size=small]Sources: [/size]
CD-player: T+A CD 1230 R
MP3-player (HDD): iRiver H320 (20 Gb)

[size=small]Amplification: [/size]
MAD Ear++ with Auricaps, Alps Blue Velvet and an excellent 5-star GE triple-mica 5751 tube.

[size=small]Cables: [/size]
Just some Cardas 300-B Micro interconnects. Headphone cables are all stock

[size=small]Headphones used: [/size]
- Beyerdynamic DT770-250 new design (Retails at about $249)
- Beyerdynamic DT770-250 Pro (Retails at about $249)
- Beyerdynamic DT770-250 Prolight+Sound Eiditon 2005 (only available at the trade fair)
- Beyerdynamic DT990-250 Pro (NOT the new one)
- Beyerdynamic DT880 (NOT the new one)
- Audio-Technica aTH-W1000 (Retails for $450 at Audiocubes)

The new DT770-250 Hifi got about 40-50 hours on it, so it might improve slightly with more use.
The DT990 Pro was brand new, so it will improve with use.

[size=small]Music used: [/size]
- Porcupine Tree: "Coma Divine" (1997)
- Roger Waters: "In The Flesh - Live" (2000)
- Massive Attack: "Protection" (1994)
- Massive Attack: "Mezzanine" (1998)
- Dire Straits: "Brothers in Arms" (1985)
- Mark Knopfler: "Sailing to Philadelphia" (2000)
- Dream Theater: "Octavarium" (2005)
And some MP3's of varying quality (mostly EAC+Lame, though).

[size=small]Using MAD Ear++: Direct comparison between the new DT770-hifi and DT770-250 Pro[/size]
First impression: The legendary bass is still here, but the recessed midrange isn't.

The differences are easily noticable. Especially when you switch between them within a few seconds.
It's definitely easier to pick out details everywhere in the midrange with the New One. It makes the Old Pros midrange sound veiled. Especially darker voices, like Mark Knopflers, benefit from the New Ones improved midrange. Well, female voices sounds quite a bit better too.

The highs in the New One isn't as aggressive as in the Old Pro, but I think there are equal amounts of details. I actually feel that there are more details in the New One, but that might be because the upper midrange isn't as dark as before. The highs are smoother and more natural in the New One, no doubt about that.

When it comes to the size of the soundstage, the more upfront midrange in the New One makes it seem a little smaller, but compared to other closed headphones I've heard, it's of the larger soundstages out there.

Overall, the New One is definitely more balanced than the Old Pro, and still keeps the warm, comfortable sound.
When switching between the two, I kept thinking that the New One sounded more natural, the whole soundstage just sounded more connected and coherent. Very nice.

Which one would I choose? The New One, without a doubt.

[size=small]Using MAD Ear++: Direct comparison between the new DT770-hifi and DT770-250 Prolight+Sound Ltd.Ed.[/size]
First impression: The bass in the Ltd.Ed. actually feels tighter and less prominent.

I haven't directly compared the Ltd.Ed. with any of my headphones since I got it, so this was quite interesting.
It seems like the bass response is the biggest difference between the two. The Ltd.Ed. seems to be missing some of the midbass hump of the other DT770s. The bass extends just as deep, it's just slightly flatter here and there. It's not anything like the DT880, though.
This also affect the lower midrange, making it thinner, but less prone to interfering with the rest of the frequency range.

The Ltd.Ed. is a little more active in the upper ranges. It isn't overly bright, just closer and more energetic. This also makes the soundstage slightly smaller in the Ltd.Ed.

The midrange isn't all that different, but I notice that the Ltd.Ed. sound slightly thinner and more direct. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Hmm...I quite like my "special" DT770.

Which one would I choose? When only considering sound, it's actually a difficult decision. When rarity is considered too, the Prolight+Sound Ltd.Ed. wins. :)

[size=small]Using MAD Ear++: Direct comparison between the new DT770-hifi and W1000[/size]
First impression: Quite different beasts, this. The W1000 does not have the subwoofer-like bass, but has a more detailed and energetic midrange.

A weakness in my comparing here, is that I have just matched the levels by ear. There could be some difference, and that might make one sound better than the other. I think I nailed the volume quite good, but you should be aware of it.

Because of the more energetic midrange of the W1000, the soundstage feels smaller and more direct. I guess we can call the DT770 more laid-back, at least on lower volumes. Not necessarily a bad thing.
The W1000 always sounds extremely nice with music in the Pink Floyd genre. It picks out great amounts of sweet details all over the midrange without being harsh. This kind of music seems to especially benefit from midrange details. That's also why the New One is quite a bit better than the Old Pro here.

Listening to Massive Attack, it's very apparent that the W1000 lacks the fantastic ultra-low bass of the DT770. This makes some of the tracks feel less ominous than they should (for example "Angel" and "Risingson" from Mezzanine).
However, on a lower-quality or bassheavy systems, the DT770s bass can become overpowering on these tracks.
The W1000 might have a slightly harder hitting midbass, but the difference is surprisingly small. Not bad by the Beyer.
Even if the W1000 doesn't reach as low as the DT770, it picks out great details in the bass-region. The W1000 is the gentleman here, and the DT770 is the crazy bass-beast... :wink:

I used a few Diana Krall tracks when comparing female voices.
Gentle female jazz haven't been a strong point for the earlier DT770s, but the New One is definitely an improvement. Diana isn't buried way back in the midrange any more, there's much more details now and just a more natural sound.
The W1000 picks out more details, but loses some of the warm and fuzzy atmosphere of the Beyer. Maybe this kind of jazz benefits of the larger soundstage of the Beyer? Diana's voice also sound wonderfully clean and smooth through the New One.
I must say that I was a little surprised that I preferred the DT770 for all of the Diana Krall tracks.

With the fast prog-metal of Dream Theater, I prefer the new DT770. The W1000 is very energetic, but this music doesn't need it. It's more in need of the bigger soundstage of the DT770.

With brilliantly recorded male voices, like on the Mark Knopfler album, both headphones sound very good, but the DT770 adds more warmth and body. I like the added midrange-details of the W1000, though.

Which one would I choose? Also a difficult choice, but I don't think I could live without the fantastic deepbass of the DT770. The W1000 got more details in the midrange, but the Beyer is close enough. Again, for me, the DT770 got a more natural sound. Hard to explain.

[size=small]Using MAD Ear++: Direct comparison between the new DT770-hifi and old DT990 Pro[/size]
First impressions: Quite similar sound. DT990 got less bass.

The good old DT990 Pro is the open version of the DT770 Pro, and in the past it has been the more balanced of the two. In regards to bass, it's still correct, it is slightly faster and isn't as prominent. However, in regards to the rest of the frequency range, the difference isn't that obvious anymore. The DT990 doesn't even sound that much more open now. That's the most surprising news between the two. Most people will hear which one is open, but it doesn't jump in your face anymore. Much of the more open feeling in the DT990 might be because of the less prominent bass, which is less likely to "get in the way" with some bassheavy systems or recordings.

On the Mark Knopfler album, I actually preferred the New One for most of the voices. However, the DT990 still picks out a few more details all over because of the more controlled bass.
Also, please note that the DT990 Pro was brand new, and I'm quite sure it will "open up" more with some use to make the differences more noticable. But no matter what, the New One is doing a great job as a closed construction.
Definitely an issue I must look further into at a later time.

Which one would I choose? A little easier this time. If you need a closed headphone, get the DT770. If not, get the DT990. However, the differences between the two are smaller than expected. Sometimes I even preferred the New One!

[size=small]Using MAD Ear++: Direct comparison between the new DT770-hifi and old DT880[/size]
First impressions: DT880 is larger, airier and seems more effortless. Unsurprisingly lacks brutal bass.

It's a little weird directly comparing these two. The bass-response is so very different, the DT880 being the neutral one which picks out lots of details all over the range. Switching to the DT880 after listening to the DT770-bassmonster, makes it sound thin, but after a few minutes the brain has adjusted, and you hear some excellent bass. Very odd. I always get this experience when comparing the DT880 to other phones.

Another Headfier very appropriately called the DT880 a chameleon, it just gives you whatever is on the recording, without any coloring.
That said, I think I like the new DT770 colors from time to time. Especially for music like Dream Theater and other aggressive stuff, the hard-hitting bass of the DT770 adds something extra that suits the music very nicely.

Listening to some nice female voices, it's quite obvious that the DT880 is near unbeatable here. It's just so ultra-smooth and still detailed. But very few beats the DT880 with well-recorded female voices.
However, I'm impressed over the new DT770's abilities to handle voices in general. There's some great details, and a nice, natural warmth that seems so...ehm...natural. Hard to explain, but it sounds damned pleasing to my ears.
The voices melts better in with the soundstage through the DT880, but remember that the DT880 is a semi-open, freakishly balanced headphone.

When it comes to overall details, the DT880 wins, no doubt. It delivers what's on the recording with so little effort, it's like magic. :)
I guess the ultra-bass of the DT770 is the reason for some lost details, but I've heard other bassheavy headphones where the bass kills MUCH more details than in this DT770. Quite impressive actually.

Which one would I choose? Well, these phones are so very different, so I must have both. :)
If I ABSOLUTELY had to pick one, I'd use the same arguments as with the DT990. If you need a closed phone, get the DT770. If not...etc.

[size=small]Using MAD Ear++: Direct comparison between the new DT770-hifi and Ultrasone PROline 550[/size]
First impressions: Quite comparable deepbass, but bettered by the Beyer everywhere else.

Just a quick comparison to an Ultrasone PROline I had lying around.
The PROline 550 is also quite the bassmeister, but everything feels a little unrefined. The midrange is fairly dry and cold, and with less details than the Beyer. The highs are a little grainy.
The DT770 have a larger soundstage with more air, even if the Ultrasone got the S-Logic technology for a "surround" feel. Imagine that.

The Ultrasone PROline 550 isn't a bad headphone, it could even be a great alternative for those who'd prefer to live without a dedicated amp, but the new Beyer DT770 just do everything better. QUite a bit better too. Also, the Ultrasone feels cheaply constructed compared to the Beyer.

Which one would I choose? Easy one at last; The new DT770.

[size=small]When used with iRiver H320 MP3-player[/size]

No real surprises here. The iRiver doesn't have the same control over the new DT770 as the MAD Ear++, but it doesn't sound terrible either. The biggest problem is the bass, it becomes more out of control, with more risk of becoming bloated and overpowering.
Another problem is a "messier" sound when there's busy music. The soundstage gets less coherent, and that disturbs your enjoyment of the music.
But again, this isn't horrible, the H320 actually sounds quite nice. I wouldn't have much of a problem living with this, especially if I didn't have a tube amp to compare with... :wink:

[size=small]Conclusions[/size]

I didn't expect Beyerdynamic to mess too much with their "legendary" DT770, but they have done plenty. There's absolutely no question that it's better sounding than my 2-3 year old DT770-250 Pro. The bass is mostly unchanged, but the highs and especially the midrange is more balanced now. It's a shame I didn't have a DT770-80 Pro to compare it with, but from memory, I'm quite positive that this new DT770 "hifi" betters even that one. Especially the upper midrange and highs got something special to them in the New One.

There's especially one thing that has stuck in mind regarding the new DT770, and that's the natural sound of it. Especially voices are much improved from the Old DT770-250 Pro, and even when compared to my other headphones. It's hard to explain, but there's a natural body and tone to the voices, which strikes me as particularly pleasing.
The New One also picks out more details in the midrange than the Old DT770-250 Pro.

This new DT770 is exceptionally comfortable to wear. It doesn't clamp your skull as the Pro-models, it just floats around your ears. Great stuff.

Are there any weaknessess then? Well, yes. The huge bass will still be too much for those who are on a quest for balance and correctness. And indeed, with the wrong system and/or recording, the DT770s bass can be overpowering.
Those who think the AKG K501's on the verge of too much bass, need not consider the DT770. For the others, there's some unique bass-fun to be found. :)
basshead.gif

I must say that I really like this new edition of the DT770 (if you were in doubt). Beyer has done the right things to the sound, and might just have found something special in the voice-handling area.
Whether you like the new design or not, is totally up to you. The construction seems to be just as sturdy as before. Personally, I think it's great. It has definitely grown on me. It's just a touch classier than before. Not a bad thing.

Would I sell my old DT770 and buy this new one? If I got the old 250 ohm Pro, I'd take a long hard look at that piggy bank. If I got the 80 ohm Pro, I wouldn't rush it, but definitely look into it. Preferrably testing it.

All in all a very nice improvement over the old one, and everyone looking for a new closed headphone should consider it, especially those with a good amp.
If you're a basshead, look no further.
basshead.gif

Please, let me know if you miss something, or have any comments.

J

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #2 of 38
Excellent stuff Jens!

I understand your older 770 Pro 250Ohm was 3 years old and the new 770 Hifi version almost brand new, right?

Also, please divulge a bit more info on the Ltd. ed. cans (where, how much, when, etc)?

Thanks!

regards,
halcyon

PS No wonder this useful post of yours got lost in all the faq crap and other useless posts, because people can't even post in the right forum or use the search <sigh>

Dec 29, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #3 of 38
Great Review!

So I thought that the new Beyers were just cosmetically changed, but they also changed in terms of sound? I had read also that the DT990 is all new and will be the new top-of-the-line headphone from Beyer. I think Jan Meier may have said this?

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 38
Nice review! When these are released I look forward to a comparison to the pro/80. It sounds like both are improved on the old 250 ohm in similar ways like the less recessed midrange, I'm wondering if theres a difference. I must say I don't know if its burn-in or psychoacoustics or whatever, but my pro/80s seem to sound better and better the more I use them. No amp. Just straight out of my Xin modified pocket radio and a portable cd player. If this is a less then ideal setup I'd like to hear what it sounds like in a good one. So far its an awesome can for electronic music with deep bass.

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #6 of 38
Very nice. Thank you, Jens!

It's good to know the redesign is not purely about aesthetics. Eagerly waiting to see what they've done with the new DT990.

Dec 29, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
I understand your older 770 Pro 250Ohm was 3 years old and the new 770 Hifi version almost brand new, right?

Yeah, that's correct. I just got the new DT770-hifi little over a week ago, but it has been burning in almost constantly since then. There's at least 50 hours on it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Also, please divulge a bit more info on the Ltd. ed. cans (where, how much, when, etc)?

Well, it was only possible to purchase at the ProLight+Sound trade fair in Frankfurt. Some official info here: http://www.beyerdynamic.com/cms/Spez...92.98.html?L=1

It was actually made at the fair by the german ladies that usually are in charge of the DT770s at the Beyer plant.

And...it wasn't all that expensive. Just 100 euros. :wink:
I think 150 were made. Mine is #112.
Oh yeah, it came in the same leather case as the new DT770-hifi.

It's mentioned here(but I don't read french):
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/produits/...ao,casque.html

Anybody knows what it says?
It apparently got full score. :wink:

Dec 29, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #9 of 38
Very good info, thanks. I am definitely interested in hearing how the new 32 ohm version sounds, since that's next on my short list of gaming cans. My current 80 ohm 770's are perfect for gaming amped or unamped, but they definitely need a good amp for music and movies. If the 32 ohm version can give all of this unamped, then it will be just the ticket.

And why don't I want to use an amp with gaming? A) hassle B) can't bring one to major lans/tourneys. Not that I'm currently good enough for tourneys, I'm so rusty I doubt I'll ever get my aim back, but hey... who knows? Anyway, a 32 ohm headphone is way more versatile than a 250 or even an 80 ohm one.

Jan 9, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
So, anyone else got hold of the new DT770 yet?

Ordered a pair myself, but no idea when they're going to arrive (through the Beyer custom configurator).

Jan 9, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #14 of 38
When and if I get my DT770/32 Ohm (new) I'll compare them against my DT770Pro/80 Ohm (1 year old). Probably after the burn-in period, to satisfy the burn-in fanatics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back