Test tracks - what do you use?
Aug 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

theriel

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I have been wondering if you could recommend me some good pieces of music to test and adjust stereo sound system.

I am looking for something with a rich palette of sounds, with some solo parts (e.g. to focus on a particular note by one single instrument). As wide frequency range as possible would be highly appreciated. Some vocal in the meantime would be nice but not necessary. High quality post-production/mastering is a must.

So far I have been using usually soundtracks, e.g. by Hans Zimmer...

What do you usually use? I know that it would be probably best to have different sets of sounds for bass, vocal etc... but being a lazy person I am trying to find one piece of music which I could always bring out when I wanted to adjust the speakers, test a sound system, go shopping etc.

Best,
Theriel

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Some Pink Floyd, Massive Attack, Nils Lofgren or Øystein Sevåg use to do it for me.
Or pretty much any music I know well and that are well recorded.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 7
See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/490393/demo-tracks-part-1

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 7

I think this should depend on what kind of music you like to listen to. I think the ability to play your favorite music and make you smile and get totally involved in the music is the key. For me getting to involved in analytical listening and trying to find faults in the system is a warning sign.

It also depends if you're testing head-fi gear or your big system.

For the Hifi-system in my livingroom there's two tracks that I always use to check that system is acceptable and have the right setup:
The Ballad of Bill Hubbard (with Jeff Beck  on guitar)
Late Home Tonight, Part 1

Both from Roger Waters - Amused to Death

The recording used the Q-sound technology to make surround sound from two speakers. With the right system setup some sounds will come from other parts of the room, like a dog barking from 90 degrees right or a faucet dripping behind you. You will not get this without a good system, good speaker placement and relatively good room acoustics.

These tracks are also a test of the system's ability to give you a wide soundstage.

It doesn't work with headphones unfortunately...

To me the soundstage, or rather how the system or headphones manages to deliver the acoustical space is most important. It can be intimate or outer space, and a good headphone or stereo should be able to deliver both.

I have quite recently discovered an album (and label) with varied music, fantastic sound and most recordings are done in churches and places with great acoustic space:

The Nordic Sound - 2L audiophile reference recordings

You can get it in multiple formats:
- Hybrid SACD (both stereo and 5.1)
- Blueray audio (both stereo and 5.1)
- Download 320kbps Mp3
- Download Flac 24 bit 96KHz or 192 KHz
- And Spotify premium gives you 320kbps Ogg Vorbis (q9): 
  Various Artists – The Nordic Sound - 2l Audiophile Reference Recordings

To test deep bass:
- Get Off Your Ass and Jam by Funkadelic, with deep funky bass from Bootsy Collins. 
atsmile.gif

Check it out on Emusic or Spotify

To test both deep bass and general Omph:
- The opening from Also sprach Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss. Berliner Philharmoniker conducted by Herbert von Karajan
  Check it out on Spotify

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 7
"When You Believe" from the Prince of Egypt soundtrack. It features, in my opinion, two of the best female vocalists of all time, namely Mariah Carey, and Whitney Houston.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back