Test tones for burn-in?
Apr 1, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #16 of 31
I'm a broadcast operator, mainly QC of the incoming and outgoing signal. I have to have a working knowledge of the fiber path and the various points of failure both in and out of house, but not much real technical knowledge. I know where the equipment room is, but not much more...

Apr 1, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
"The only thing is, make sure it's full-range (I.E. the entire frequency spectrum). Otherwise you're not going to get fully broken in."

What would you recommend, Dusty Chalk?

Oh, just about anything that has a full frequency spectrum to it - over the course of the disc. Someone mentioned Rob Zombie in another thread -- that works. Einsturzende Neubauten, Paula Cole, Holly Cole...L, even Madonna would probably make good break-in music.

Apr 1, 2002 at 9:13 AM Post #18 of 31
Alan Parson's "I Robot". You should see it on a waveform/vectorscope.

Apr 1, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
I'm a broadcast operator, mainly QC of the incoming and outgoing signal. I have to have a working knowledge of the fiber path and the various points of failure both in and out of house, but not much real technical knowledge. I know where the equipment room is, but not much more...

I would've PMed you as this is WAYYY O/T but I can't so gotta say this here but... quality? What quality?? compressionartifacts*KOFFKOFF*
biggrin.gif
A first generation analog feed off a well peaked dish, now THAT is quality.
biggrin.gif
Seriously, I applaud you guys for moving to multi-satellite dishes... hopefully you can cut the compression and get back to the picture quality you had when DirecTV first came out (well, after the MPEG 1.5 to 2 switch)... it was INCREDIBLE back then.

Apr 1, 2002 at 5:27 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by meatman

I would've PMed you as this is WAYYY O/T but I can't so gotta say this here but... quality? What quality?? compressionartifacts*KOFFKOFF*
biggrin.gif
A first generation analog feed off a well peaked dish, now THAT is quality.
biggrin.gif
Seriously, I applaud you guys for moving to multi-satellite dishes... hopefully you can cut the compression and get back to the picture quality you had when DirecTV first came out (well, after the MPEG 1.5 to 2 switch)... it was INCREDIBLE back then.

You know why the've upped the compression? It means they can ram more content down the bird. Hey... not complaining, just a fact. The bad thing is meatman most viewers aren't smart enough to notice. I'm seriously considering dropping my digital cable since they have upped the compression on comcast. It allows them to broadcast more channels. I can only assume the same for DirectTV... but don't know for sure. I can hear definite "ringing" in the upper channels now. Pisses me off to no extent since I primarily watch TCL, Discovery, History Channel. Oh well... what can you do. Meanwhile back to burning in my Grados...

Apr 1, 2002 at 7:51 PM Post #22 of 31
I'm curious about one thing. Is there such a thing as 'a quality burn-in' ? For example, would your phones end up sounding better if you were to run them through a Headroom Maxed Out Home as opposed to the radio? What do you think, burn-in experts?

Apr 1, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Alan Parson's "I Robot". You should see it on a waveform/vectorscope.

I almost specifically mentioned that one, as I have the DAD, and the frequency response (especially on the first track) is quite complete.

Quality Guru - I believe the answer is yes, since I've heard a different burn-in source give a different effect. But I don't know what it is.

Apr 2, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #24 of 31
I've got, shall we call it, "andrzejpw's unofficial head-fi burn-in disc."

Basically, I did some noises in coolwave, frequency sweeps, etc. Entire spectrum stuff. Anyone want some more info, PM me. The entire file (compressed) is about 200 megs, rar compressed.

About 25 minutes. Anyone want to serve it?

Apr 2, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #25 of 31
Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
I almost specifically mentioned that one, as I have the DAD, and the frequency response (especially on the first track) is quite complete.

You should listen to it on a surround system. With all of the out of phase frequencies it's almost like he mixed it for surround... even before surround was available. Then again Alan Parsons engineered one of the best mixed albums ever... Dark Side Of The Moon.

Apr 3, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

You should listen to it on a surround system. With all of the out of phase frequencies it's almost like he mixed it for surround... even before surround was available. Then again Alan Parsons engineered one of the best mixed albums ever... Dark Side Of The Moon.

There's a surround version of this? Or are you decoding it using something like a Lexicon? Yes, I would love to hear that on a surround system...too bad they don't have surround headphones...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2002 at 8:53 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

There's a surround version of this? Or are you decoding it using something like a Lexicon? Yes, I would love to hear that on a surround system...too bad they don't have surround headphones...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry... I was talking about "I RObot" Haven't tried Dark Side of the Moon in Surround.

Apr 4, 2002 at 3:41 AM Post #28 of 31
No, I meant I, Robot, too -- so the question stands, there's a surround version of this?

Apr 4, 2002 at 2:55 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

No, I meant I, Robot, too -- so the question stands, there's a surround version of this?

Sorry! No I don't believe so. Since Parsons used alot of out-of-phase frequencies it almost sounds like it was mixed for surround. Try listening to some of his stuff in Pro-Logic. Kind of bizzare.

Apr 5, 2002 at 6:38 AM Post #30 of 31
Oh, okay, will give it a shot -- thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back