Test tones 12-120hz, see how deep your bass goes!
Jan 4, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #46 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does it suppose to sound like those 20Hz.. under 15Hz etc..

I tried it with HD280 (over the ear, closed) on a Sansa Clip, from 16hz up I can detect something, it's not even a sound, more of a vibration. Around 21 or 22 hz, I'd start to call it a sound.

With the KSC35, at normal listening levels, I didn't hear(detect) anything until 23hz.

JVC Gumy, 24 hz.

Philips SHE2650 earbuds, 27 hz.

Stock Sansa earbuds, 23 hz.

KSC-75, kramer modded and mounted in tight-fitting KSC55 headband, 20 hz.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #47 of 78
The sound probably need to be boosted.. then u will hear something i think its just faint... :p ive open up one of the files and it is indeed having a wave generated but when i played it i cant hear anything... this is at 10Hz.

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #48 of 78
Hearing a 20Hz or 30Hz tone and hear these tones at the same intensity as say the 100Hz tone is two different things. Everyone can turn up their volume and hear noise. The ability for a device to play low is the ability for the device to maintain sensitivity down to that level. You can take a 1" tweeter that plays from 3kHz to 15kHz and say it can play a 20Hz tone. It can...very very quietly.

It would be useful for people to indicate two things when discussing low end resposne.
(1) where the roll off begins
(2) how steep of a roll of it is.

Do not run this test LOUD. Yes, if you crank up the headphones, you can hear the headphones flapping away at 12Hz. That's not hard to do at all. Run the test quiet-medium level. Run down until you start to hear a roll off. It's useful to skip in 10Hz increments or more till you get around the lower end. Make note of this. Run down in smaller increments and make note of the roll off. Do you lose half your volume in 5Hz or 10Hz? Does the roll off seem shallow or steep? Do not cound distortion as "music." Again, you crank up the headphone, you will get noise, and it will flap away all the way down to 12Hz. It doesn't tell much though, does it?

Anywho, playing my V-Moda Vibes. I get down to about 40Hz before it starts rolling off. The roll off is quick with 35Hz being a bit quieter and 30Hz not really hearable.

Oh, and for the folks who say, oh I can hear 20Hz. I can hear the 12Hz just fine if I turn up the volume. Woopty do! Measure intellegently for accurate results. I hate to sound like a prick, but I dislike b.s. If your headphone drops to 20Hz with the same intensity as 100Hz, great. If you hear 20Hz simply because the volume's cranked way up, it's simply inaccurate.

Oh, for anyone who wants to play around with other bass stuff. visit Realm of Excursion. They have a lot of test tones and bass tracks that you can download and play with. A lot of the more usable bass tests generally have a high frequency beats with them to show the relative output difference in the frequency response. It kind of makes up for the cranking the volume up thing because the high frequency beat would be insanely loud.
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #49 of 78
Frequency is simply a range of frequencies between which a headphone can generate sound waves at a certain power level. This does not necessarily mean you can hear it.

The oft-quoted 20Hz-20KHz is the "frequency response" of one's ears. It is a range of frequencies between which the average healthy young adult's ear can detect sound waves of a certain power level.

As with headphones, every ear is different and it's no surprise some people can hear down to 15 Hz or lower.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #50 of 78
Nah sorry won't try this. I once almost ****ed up the driver on my A900 by playing these test sounds.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardstyler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah sorry won't try this. I once almost ****ed up the driver on my A900 by playing these test sounds.

Do Tell! u mentioned almost, how did u manage to fix it / prevent it.

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #52 of 78
Quote:

The sound probably need to be boosted.. then u will hear something i think its just faint... :p ive open up one of the files and it is indeed having a wave generated but when i played it i cant hear anything... this is at 10Hz.

Well actually the point of the test tones is not using EQ in WMP or boosting volume or sound. That's kind of like cheating if your adjusting to attempt to make tones easier to hear. No offense just pointing that out.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

Do Tell! u mentioned almost, how did u manage to fix it / prevent it.

Well I didn't do anything. After playing some test tones, I played some regular music, it was a techno track and immediately right driver started rattling or distorting. It sounded like farting almost.

So I stopped playback, came back after 5 min. and they sounded normal again. You would think they're damaged but I don't think they are.

Jan 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #55 of 78
Quote:

Well I didn't do anything. After playing some test tones, I played some regular music, it was a techno track and immediately right driver started rattling or distorting. It sounded like farting almost.

So I stopped playback, came back after 5 min. and they sounded normal again. You would think they're damaged but I don't think they are.

well how is this a sign of damage from test tones if its fine?? i mean its either damaged or it isnt drivers dont fix themself like that, in fact how you explain what happened i would have to suggest it was maybe a hair hitting the driver, then when you went away and came bk its fine...no hair.

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #56 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well actually the point of the test tones is not using EQ in WMP or boosting volume or sound. That's kind of like cheating if your adjusting to attempt to make tones easier to hear. No offense just pointing that out.

I just want to hear that those sounds at that frequency sounds like... :p thought if the driver were design to make them faint, then we could give a go to increase the volume. Maybe we can hear it :p its just too faint :p HAHA Whatever.
It probably has to do with how sensative our ears are.. thus if we increase it then we can hear it, but its just a tone right... will sound like anyother tone...

Jan 11, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #57 of 78
The problem is the hardware is not designed to output low frequencies at high levels. You technically have to move a LOT of air to get high SPL at lower notes. At some piont, you just run out of capability. Even if you push and hear sound, it most likely is just distortion. You may hear thunk, thunk, thunk at some low oscillation, but it's more like the driver smacking end to end in its range more then the reproduction of a sine wave. Also, you run a high risk of damage to the headphones by doing something like this. This is why people blow up subs in cars too trying to hear overly low tones with a setup really incapable of the job. Test quietly and when it rolls off, it rolls off. Yes, EQing can extend the response some, but at some point, you will run into the mechanical limits of the device. Pushing to and past that, you'll likely cause failure. We don't need a pile of $200-$400 headphones dead because of this.
tongue.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #58 of 78
Quote:

This is exactly how my technics were destroyed the driver never stopped rattling
frown.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #59 of 78
I tried the files w/ two headphones and with the Ultrasone PROline 2500 I could hear down to 10Hz! Amazed I could.

My wife was able to hear down to 10Hz w/ the D5000. With the D5000 I could easily hear down to 20Hz and barely w/ down to 10Hz but it was faint.

Jan 12, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why are some people claiming they can hear 15hz and silly things like that?? its been well known for some time that even the very best ears only hear as low as 20hz and even that isnt the best bass if you can hear it as 20hz and below is very much suppose to be bass you feel not hear.

so hearing 15hz is likely a fault with your earphones as 15hz is not supposed to be heard and if it is heard its most likely a rattling from the hardware and not good for music at all.

It's called dick measuring contest. I can hear lower hertz than you can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back