"Test" song/s
Jul 26, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #16 of 29
OK thanks for the education! Used to deal with similar issues with turn tables when I was DJ'ing a lifetime ago.

Yeah I think it had more to do with TTs before since reading was more real time, so a bad calibration on one part and there's a problem. With CDs the laser actually reads ahead, and more so with computers reading from HDDs and SSDs with RAM and cache. In digital IIRC it's just simulated on software.

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #18 of 29
WOW you ain't lying.....I could not cut the high end to even make that listenable......I am quite sensitive to treble and this was like icepicks!!!!
Yes, that is not a test of the headphones, that is just a very challenging recording. Personally I wouldn't use it for headphone listening or testing, edgy recordings are only for speakers and when they mastered back in the day of that album, it was primarily speakers people used, headphones very, very little as compared to today.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:00 AM Post #19 of 29
Excellent!! Thank you all for the replies.....I have some new stuff to listen to!!!
Holly Cole: One Trick Pony from Romantically Helpless, and Get Out of Town from Don't Smoke in Bed
Herbie Hancock: Tea Leaf Prophecy from the album River (a tribute to Joni Mitchel)
Sonnentanz (Sascha Braemer Remix) from the Saint Germain Des-Pres Cafe Volume 15 Disc One
Steely Dan: Negative Girl from the album Two Against Nature

So many more, those are a few.

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #20 of 29
Yes, that is not a test of the headphones, that is just a very challenging recording. Personally I wouldn't use it for headphone listening or testing, edgy recordings are only for speakers and when they mastered back in the day of that album, it was primarily speakers people used, headphones very, very little as compared to today.

Try "Fragile" vocal harmonies, and bass/drum interplay quite arresting; it's earlier and the treble isn't nearly as high in level.

I'm very familiar with the other recording and know how much pain to expect from a great transducer. It's very well recorded, just mixed by someone with high frequency deficit disorder.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2019 at 12:26 AM Post #21 of 29
Try "Fragile" vocal harmonies, and bass/drum interplay quite arresting; it's earlier and the treble isn't nearly as high in level.

I'm very familiar with the other recording and know how much pain to expect from a great transducer. It's very well recorded, just mixed by someone with high frequency deficit disorder.

Roundabout is always in rotation in my playlists!!

Jul 28, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #22 of 29
Roundabout is always in rotation in my playlists!!

The 2015 Panegyric CD is a revelation on the multi-tracked vocals in 'Roundabout'. Also like the first :24 of 'the fish' for Squire's bass. And of course Bruford's drumming in "Heart of the Sunrise".

When Bruford left for Crimson and Wakeman's grip got too heavy they were done. Saw Bruford play with Collins for Genesis on 4/10/76 in Boston. They both played on "Cinema Show" and "Firth of Fifth" and a few more. What a treat. That tour was in support of "A trick of the tail" which is magnificent on 1/2 speed remastered vinyl.

Jul 28, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #23 of 29
Here are some of my favorite test tracks, in no particular order.

GoGo Penguin - Strid
Sleep - The Sciences
Beck - Morning
Nils Frahm - The Shooting
DJ Shadow - Three Ralphs
Agnes Obel - Riverside
Radiohead - Reckoner
Queens of the Stone Age - Song for the Dead
Rodrigo y Gabriela - Somnium
Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day
I forgot about Three Ralphs.

Three Ralphs is one of those rare tracks that has insane low bass (I think some of it might dip below 20Hz) that isn't distorted or clipped.

Love it! :L3000:

Some other great bass test tracks I use are:

Daft Punk - Doin' It Right
imara - Bright Hearts
James Blake - Limit To Your Love
Lady Gaga - Starstruck
Ludacris - How Low
N.E.R.D - Lemon
Paula Cole - Tiger
Royksopp - Running To The Sea

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #25 of 29
Gorillaz - Empire Ants (ft. Little Dragon)
Daft Punk - Doin' it Right

Both have very good range from highs and lows and both high pitched and low pitched voices throughout the song. And I love both songs though I didn't like the Daft Punk song as much until I finally heard them through great headphones

Aug 4, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #27 of 29
Close to the Edge - Yes - the whole thing, it's good for checking the bass for IM, but it's great as a treble test. If a can is a little annoying on some pieces it's liable to be brutal on this, and if its brutal on this, then I'm out. The treble is cut high into the mix, but, a good can won't make you feel like throwing your headphones off and putting your head in ice water.
Thanks, I’ve been enjoying Yes the last week, and especially how much treble there is. (Probably #1 reasons my current IEMs are my favorite.)

Shimenawa by Björk is .. it’s treble is well, something else; and not necessarily enjoyable on my headphones. And then there is All is Full if Love which makes for hearing loss. Rivals some Jazz songs on my headphones :D

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #28 of 29
I've recently added "Principles of Lust" by Enigma to my test playlist.

The reason for this is because it has a relatively non-dynamic range and has really busy sections with multiple layers of sounds mixed in. I consider a "good" headphone one that can keep all the layers distinct with each sharing space and complimenting each other. I can count 6 distinct layers at some parts of the song - which is the limit to how many things I can keep in my head at once.

Also, if a headphone can't get the finishing up-flutter of the flute (?) runs, it's out for not enough treble extension :D

Most of the other Enigma songs of the same time feel like derivatives of (or samples used for?) this song and seem to have a larger dynamic range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back