test CDs?
Sep 10, 2001 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jmpsmash

100+ Head-Fier
just wondering what CDs you use for testing equipment?

right now, i am using the following 3 types of music:

- solo instrument - usually a Bach Cello suite, good for testing sound quality/purity
- symphonic - usually mahler sym #3. very complex piece with lots of instruments at very wide frequency and dynamic range
- percussion - Kodo (Japanese druming group). thundering loud.

Sep 10, 2001 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 5
Bach Cello Suites is a great piece of music for testing your equipment. I have them on CD performed by Yo Yo Ma.

Basically the best test CDs are the music you listen to. If you know the little nuances in the recordings you listen to time and time again it serves as a great benchmark for auditioning equipment.

I have some Strauss and Wagner CDs for testing heavy orchestral. I like using Mahler Symphony No. 5 1st Movt and Strauss's Don Juan op. 20.

I also use l'Oiseau de Feu and Sacre Du Printemps - Deutsche Grammophon and a remastered Karajan Beethoven Symphony No. 9 CD.

I forgot to mention one more thing... Use the Cor Anglais solo in Dvorak's Symphony No.9 Mvt 2. Another great little snippet to listen to.

Sep 10, 2001 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 5
I also use the Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disc. The rest are discs I really like: Slayers - Best of (anime), Megumi Hayashibara - Reflection, Princess Mononoke, Massive Attack - Mezzanine (for the low bass), Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes.

Sep 10, 2001 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 5
I like "Ascension" by Coltrane. The better the system, the better it sounds.....wait, that's obvious.

Never mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back