Tesla - just how far could he have gone?
Jul 10, 2009 at 8:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Oublie

100+ Head-Fier
Jul 10, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tesla was a great man, very noble and honest. I saw something recently that he invented a working machine that would provide free electricity via magnets.. perhaps that is why he is somewhat forgotten in our society?

Free electricity? There must be a catch to this because there wouldn't be such things as nuclear power plants or hydroelectrics if they could generate electricity for free. I'm a bit sceptical.
ph34r.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 33
Guess we will never know, as he died 65 years ago.
But it would have been great if he received more backing up back then.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Free electricity? There must be a catch to this because there wouldn't be such things as nuclear power plants or hydroelectrics if they could generate electricity for free. I'm a bit sceptical.
ph34r.gif

Well 'they' don't like the sound of free, plus it's a little hard to get any financial backing.. think about it.

Jul 10, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 33
Free electricity is related to the cordless charging of some battery powered devices. Harnessing fields or something like that. Oil companies have made the most money in the history of the world, so of course they would squash any legitimate threats to that with full force. Can we harvest lightning?

Jul 10, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 33
Don't know about the free part...
The wireless transmission of power though, that's something that he almost made work. He did demonstrate it by lighting a light bulb wirelessly (sp?) He ran out of money building Wardenclyffe Tower on Long Island, he going to use that to transmit power and also enable wireless communications to Europe. Way cool stuff.

Jul 10, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 33
The govt seized his papers after his death. The big technological jump after WWII could well be a result. A lot of things only heard about in rumors are Tesla tech, including beamed plasma weapons. Tesla wanted better for us.

Jul 10, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 33
Brilliant, but I am also going to say that he went pretty far as is. He invented a lot and pushed science forward an unbelievable amount, and he is responsible for a good chunk of the precursors to modern technology.

Also, I liked the google tribute. Best one I have seen since the LHC one back in October.
tesla09.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 33
He could have gone a lot further if he didn't become completely obsessed with wireless electricity.

But... I think the man did plenty and he should be prominently talked about in the history books. Very eccentric, brilliant, yet somewhat insane man who was screwed over by Edison. Somehow Edison is the one who is known worldwide.

Jul 10, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 33
IIRC Edison was a DC current proponent, it was Tesla with AC current and AC motors that enabled "the 2nd industrial revolution"

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 33
Some of his work is astonishing, wireless electricity at that time, etc.
Some of it is pure ******** ('free' electricity and death rays).

I believe he went mad and just hit lucky on some stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back