Terrible static through studio monitors connected to PC...
Jan 18, 2019 at 12:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
I have my studio monitors (Yamaha HS7 and HS8S sub) plugged into a Schiit Audio Modi 2 and Magni 2 headphone amp/dac and I am getting terrible static through the monitors.

The noise does seem to be effected by what's happening on the computer. For example, if I do something more intensive, like open a game or copy files, the noise gets worse. It is also there when I turn the volume nob on the headphone amp to zero, but disappears if I change the volume on the back of the monitors themselves, which obviously isn't much help as then I can't hear them. The noise goes away completely when I plug my headphones into the Magni 2.

Any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it?

A few other things to note is that in games when I move the mouse, the static changes as the mouse moves. The static also reacts sometimes when clicking an adjustment in photoshop etc. The noise also stops completely if I remove the Modi 2 USB cable from the back of the computer.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 4
These problems are often hard to trouble shoot.
It sound like a CRC error.
What you can try is different ports, the ones at the back might have long cabling to the mobo picking up distortions on the way.
Another one is to open the device manager and check if DAC and e.g. mouse share the same hub

Maybe this link is of use: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_Trouble.htm

Jan 23, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 4
I have my studio monitors (Yamaha HS7 and HS8S sub) plugged into a Schiit Audio Modi 2 and Magni 2 headphone amp/dac and I am getting terrible static through the monitors.
The noise does seem to be effected by what's happening on the computer. For example, if I do something more intensive, like open a game or copy files, the noise gets worse. It is also there when I turn the volume nob on the headphone amp to zero, but disappears if I change the volume on the back of the monitors themselves, which obviously isn't much help as then I can't hear them. The noise goes away completely when I plug my headphones into the Magni 2.
Any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it?
A few other things to note is that in games when I move the mouse, the static changes as the mouse moves. The static also reacts sometimes when clicking an adjustment in photoshop etc. The noise also stops completely if I remove the Modi 2 USB cable from the back of the computer.
Maybe it's a feedback loop?
Do the computer & Schiit stuff & HS7/HS8 share the same surge protector?
If so, try putting your electronics on separate surge protectors, one for PC, one for Schiit, one for HS7/HS8.
If your Modi 2 comes with a optical input, try using that, instead of USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back