Terrible experience with Shure Europe
Feb 12, 2007 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

greenhorn

Headphoneus Supremus
So the cable of my Shure E5 is green and stiff.

I contacted Shure Europe through the website and I received an answer from Germany (where the headquarters seem to be located). Basically they said that I may send my E5 to the French distributor (since I'm located in France) in order to have them "checked".

I pointed them to this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=215336

and asked for an exchange, not a check. I was then told "when you want to exchange the earphones you have to send the E5 anyway to our distributor in France" and they gave me the address where to send them.

That's what I did. 25 days ago (and the parcel arrived at destination, according to the online tracking, 22 days ago).

Nothing happens during more than three weeks...

Today, after repeated emails from me asking what happened, Shure Germany tells me that my E5 "have been returned". Then I receive another email, this time from the French distributor, saying that:

"in concertation with Shure Europe, the exchange of your E5 has been refused because:
a)- there was no purchase voucher;
b)- the date-code stamped on the jack showed that the E5 was not under warranty anymore;
c)- the waranty would not cover anyway the fact that the cable turned green.

Now in fact Shure Europe had told me very clearly that not sending the purchase voucher together with the earphones "shouldn't be a problem".

Then I see a huge contradiction between b) and c). Would the French distributor have exchanged my E5 if they were still under warranty, or not?

And why didn't Shure Europe ask me from the beginning if they are under warranty or not? Or for Shure Europe being under warranty wasn't a precondition, while for the French distributor it was one?

And why the hell did the French distributor have to wait 22 days for acting?

I'm very, very disappointed by this "service".

Feb 12, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 27
I am in UK. When I bought E5Cs, I confirmed with the German Shure that it would be OK to deal direct with Shure USA with any matters related to warranty / service. I established this, even though so far I only have green cables, to avoid this sort of situation.

However, if your date code has expired on warranty then you are screwed for free replacement under any national representative of Shure.

Feb 13, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 27
"I was in contact with our French Distribution center and we agreed. By evaluating the earphone and looking at the given details we don´t see a warranty or free of charge replacement reasonable. The E5 technically is working well. It just has some little signs due to wear and tear which don´t degrade the performance of your eaphones. Even if your earphone would be within the 2-year warranty period, it wouldn´t automatically qualify for a free of charge replacement because of wear and tear.

Why it took so long I cannot tell. Your eaphone is on the way back to you already."

[size=small]So now they call a stiff greened cable "wear & tear".
mad.gif

There were no other signs of "wear & tear", but just that cable of horrible quality!

Anyway, I can only hope now to receive my earphones back, after a month.

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
[/size]

edit: Yes, I received my earphones back today, 14 February.

Feb 14, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #7 of 27
i always thought shure's customer service is great..hmmm..

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #8 of 27
How can the cable be of "horrible quality" when it is two years old and still works?

If you are really unable to use the product send it to Shure USA and they will replace it for a reasonable fee.

Mar 23, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 27
I really can't see they would exchange a new pair just because the cable is "green". The cable of my ex-E5 was as green as it gets and I didn't notice any degradation in term of sound quality. They're not obliged to replace it as long as the earphones work normally.

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

I didn't notice any degradation in term of sound quality

It's obvious that cable, which changed his color won't start play worse.
@Greenhorn: you were lucky anyway. When my E3cs got broken, Polish Shure service despite international Shure warranty (I've got also proof purchase) didn't wanted to check and replece them. They told me that they didn't have to replece them because they were not bought in Poland. Ridiculous...

Mar 23, 2007 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 27
Hello all,
Would like to clear some things up.
YOU MUST KEEP PROOF OF PURCHASE! If you are willing to spend up to $500 on earphones why would you not keep the receipt to ensure you get every minute out of your two year warranty. If you don't have proof of purchase it makes it much more difficult to get service especially outside the US. This is due to a couple reasons including counterfeit earphones we have seen sent in for service.

Luckily at Shure if you cannot provide a proof of purchase we will SOMETIMES go off a serial number on the earphone. This can tell us approx. when it was made. Due to stock rotation though and who you purchase through there could be a variance of up to a year between the manufacturer date and date of sale. Hence all of a sudden you 2 year warranty is quickly a one year warranty. But it's something. We will be moving away from the datecode structure because if this.
Keeping your receipt is the only way to guarantee your 2 year warranty.

I'm sorry greenhorn for your experience at Shure EMEA but Shure US would have handled it the same. If you did not send in proof of purchase and the datecode has expired we would of returned them to you.

As for green E5 cables it does happen but not to everyone. We have seen it happen more often in regions where there is high humidity and even the skin complexion will effect the cable. Please keep your cables clean by periodically wiping them with a NON Alcohol based cleaner. (We have found Clorox bleach free disinfectant wipes to be good).

Thanks and see you at the headfi meet!

Mar 23, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #12 of 27
turkishdelight, for the benefit of those with out of warranty shure products, what are the costs of replacement for damaged iems? and is this service available overseas?

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
turkishdelight, for the benefit of those with out of warranty shure products, what are the costs of replacement for damaged iems? and is this service available overseas?

I'd prefer not to post pricing because they will be changing soon. Please feel free to call us to get the most accurate out of warranty replacement cost.
Thanks

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by turkishdelight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all,
Would like to clear some things up.
YOU MUST KEEP PROOF OF PURCHASE! If you are willing to spend up to $500 on earphones why would you not keep the receipt to ensure you get every minute out of your two year warranty. If you don't have proof of purchase it makes it much more difficult to get service especially outside the US. This is due to a couple reasons including counterfeit earphones we have seen sent in for service.

Luckily at Shure if you cannot provide a proof of purchase we will SOMETIMES go off a serial number on the earphone. This can tell us approx. when it was made. Due to stock rotation though and who you purchase through there could be a variance of up to a year between the manufacturer date and date of sale. Hence all of a sudden you 2 year warranty is quickly a one year warranty. But it's something. We will be moving away from the datecode structure because if this.
Keeping your receipt is the only way to guarantee your 2 year warranty.

I'm sorry greenhorn for your experience at Shure EMEA but Shure US would have handled it the same. If you did not send in proof of purchase and the datecode has expired we would of returned them to you.

As for green E5 cables it does happen but not to everyone. We have seen it happen more often in regions where there is high humidity and even the skin complexion will effect the cable. Please keep your cables clean by periodically wiping them with a NON Alcohol based cleaner. (We have found Clorox bleach free disinfectant wipes to be good).

Thanks and see you at the headfi meet!

I really hope you do not move away from the datecode warranty.

Many people receive your products as gifts and do not have access to the original receipt.

Mar 23, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really hope you do not move away from the datecode warranty.

Many people receive your products as gifts and do not have access to the original receipt.

I really like the datacode system as well. It prevents customers from stressing over where they placed their receipts. In some cases, people may have simply tossed it out or did not receive a receipt in the first place since it was a gift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back