Terrible distortion with EMU 1212m, Please help!
Apr 7, 2007 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

skyline889

Headphoneus Supremus
So I tried playing some music on my computer today and even though the music played, there was terrible distortion throughout the song. It sounded like a badly tuned radio, none of the notes rang clear, highs were fuzzy, and bass was really really bad, think blown subwoofer bad. I really have no clue what's wrong, it's not my speakers because they play fine for my cd player, please please help me figure out what's wrong!

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 6
Hmm, so apparently it'll play music fine off of cds but everything on my hard drives that used to play fine, now distorts when played through both Foobar and WMP. Really have no clue what's going on here.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 6
Did you (un)install anything recently? Any system errors? I would try to remove the drivers, do a registry cleanup and install them again, that's probably your best bet.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 6
How long have you had the 1212M?

Do you have trim controls inserted into both the Wave and ASIO channel strips? On my computer, unless I have a trim control in place (i.e. the output has 0 dB attenuation), the output will clip.

In other words, check your gain staging. The application (Foobar, Winamp, etc.) should be set at 0 dB (Foobar) or have the volume all the way up (Winamp, WMP). Then, in PatchMix DSP, insert some trim controls into an empty space of each channel strip and set them at a value that doesn't go into the near-clip region. For me, both trim controls are set to around -5 dB.

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you so much for your help guys! I un-installed everything then reloaded and it seems to be working ok now. I really don't know what happened, this has just been a really bad weekend for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back