Terratec Phase 24
Jan 5, 2005 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

boebi

New Head-Fier
Hi

does anyone have experience with the new Terratec Phase 24 external sound card? Does it have enough power to drive sennheiser hd-595 without an amp? How about the quality? As i know it has an adjustable headphone-output!

thanks&greets

May 10, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #2 of 6
the HD-595's require a headphone amp regardless.

I have the phase 24, the headphone output may drive the 595's but it wouldn't sound very good. Best hook the balanced output's directory into a headphone amp, or into a compact mixer and then into a headphone amp.

I wouldn't use adapters either.

May 10, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #3 of 6
The Phase 24 FW delivered pretty good S/N and excellent THD measurements in the last c't article, btw.

May 12, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 6
Don't know the Phase 24 actually, but I'd generally state, that (in respect of audio quality) Terratec products can't be rivaled by any competitor. I've had that famous EWS 64 XL (superb) and now run the DMX 6 fire (superb as well, easier to configure). That is the same with all the tests since '97.

If I had to do it again, I'd rather head for an external soundcard, because it's far away from interfereng devices and will still be useable when the PCI slot system has died.

The interface of my DMX 6 fire makes something like 50mW before it starts clanking. I once tested the Senn 595s with this interface (in comparison with Beyer 770s), and the Senns sounded much better from this source. Guess the 595s don't need THAT much amp power. My big amp did not do much for them.

May 12, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
The Phase 24 FW delivered pretty good S/N and excellent THD measurements in the last c't article, btw.

Well, yes, it did...
smily_headphones1.gif
Personally, I like the feature-set of the Aureon 7.1 FireWire better, though. Both are built around the same BridgeCo firewire multimedia dsp, and the headphone amp section is pretty much the same, too. It sound quite alright and drives a good range of headphones, but a nice portable amp like the PortaCorda II seems preferable to me for sound quality...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back