Terms: What do "laid-back" and "aggressive" mean?
Jun 16, 2007 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jcw122

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

As you can tell, I'm new to everything about headphones, amps, and personal sound systems like this. I was reading through Tangents "Notes on Op Amps" and he was using terms like "laid back" and "aggressive" to describe the sounds of systems or op amps. What do these terms mean? I don't exactly understand how something can sound aggressive, does that mean harsh or something? Laid-back makes me think the sound is soft or something.

Just looking for some clarification, thanks for your patience.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 5
From my experience, aggressive means in-your-face, as in it sounds like the music is playing so close to your face you want to push it away. This is also referred to as 'forward'. Laid-back means the music is not so, well, aggressive
600smile.gif
and it's more relaxing to listen to.

Certain headphones have a reputation for being forward or aggressive, such as Grados and the Audio Technica AD2000 in my experience. Other phones, such as Sennheisers are more laid-back. Others are somewhere in between. It depends on the sound you like as to which cans you pick.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 5
Ahh thanks Hardwired, that actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Always appreciated.

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Back