Terms for describing sound and software for adjusting them
Jul 17, 2017 at 7:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Silvian

Member of the Trade: Silvian
Hi everyone,

Let me start with an observation:
(there was supposed to be a photo with the forums' threads and views here, but it didn't upload - have a look for yourselves)
open

view

We are overpowered by far by those interested in (only) hardware. I realize, of course, that some threads on the other forums will have touched on things which are being discussed in the Science Forum, but there is no doubt that most people, for various reasons, disregard the science. I’ll come back to this.

Like you, I am interested in making the most of software in playback. I believe that while software is extensively used in production, sometimes too much for the sake of what we hear, it is grossly underutilized in playback. And there are many reasons for this:
  • For the most part the existing good software is usually either expensive or free but hard to use,
  • For the most part the existing software is not well enough explained: it is either, again, very hard to understand by the most of us, or it is not explained at all,
  • The purists and their, hopefully diminishing, influence. Isn’t it funny that all professionals use say EQs to balance what they’re hearing but the purists, and still most of the reviewers, come up with conclusions like “oh, that or the other isn’t good enough because it’s got say recessed mids” instead of advising people to push the mids a little if, and that’s a big if, they feel like it?
  • Lack of education.
Talking about education: one of the factors, I believe, is also that no comprehensive, consistent, reliable description of the terms describing the technical qualities of the sound exists yet. Do not worry, I am aware of the efforts of a few of you on this forum and I’ll be referring to them a little later. So when they hear, if at all, any of us/reviewers referring to terms they don’t understand, they’ll shut off. And even if they did pay attention, what can they do about it? As I mentioned, except EQ type software, anything else is quite “esoteric”: I, at least, don’t really know what they do to the terms used to describe sound. As far as I know, there doesn’t yet exist any extensive mapping of the terms to software.
And so my proposal to any of you interested in taking part, the intention of this thread, is to identify the parameters of the sound and the specific pieces of software which allow for their adjustments. I have a hunch that many of the terms will be mapped to an EQ. But there is a lot more software out there. I don’t know what they do, or better, the terms they influence, but here are some of the words I came across:: compression/decompression, spatializing, stereo widening, envelopes.
There will be parameters which can not be adjusted by software. It would be good to identify those as well. This is where the science of materials, design of the headphones and others will need to evolve.

I believe it is our responsibility, I truly believe this, to come up with a set of easy to explain, easy to demonstrate, parameters and then recommend or even provide easy to use software for appropriate adjustments. Until someone develops that perfect piece of hardware, this is the best compromise. By the way, that perfect hardware will still not be good enough as we hear so differently.
And perhaps we will end up with a lot more clarity, a lot less “snake oil”. And, perhaps again, we will stop unnecessarily measuring things which can be easily adjusted and focus on adjusting them.

No commercial enterprise will do any of this cleansing: their scope is to make money and most benefit from the confusion. The out of control prices are a symptom of this. By the way, if someone really feels that spending a few thousand dollars on a pair of headphones is a good idea, that is, of course, perfectly fine. But I believe that a good modern driver and the right software will be capable of satisfying most of us.

Ideally, this initiative will inspire someone to take it further and develop a unique piece of software for all these adjustments, for all OS platforms, perhaps even built into the audio chips. It would be nice to be open source, of course. Personally I don’t believe in patents, I really don’t, but there could be someone trying to monetize this: so be it. We will be the clients so we will hold some power.

I have been thinking to do it myself, but it will be a big, probably quite complex piece of work, and I also know that even if I would have done it, the hardest parts is the marketing. With many of you participating and influencing as many others as you can, we’ll have a decent market already. Again, market not for making money, but for doing good.

I started putting together some of the preliminary info. It is all in the form of a public Google drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwtFMdr0W_kuSjdDOW1TLUh2RDQ?usp=sharing

Let me know what other info and how you think we should capture.

Cheers

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 2
Well now.

The perfect software would be the one that has all the response curves of all popular headphones in it. Selectable. Downloadable.
It would include hardware to measure each customers ear response (hearing test and microphone in cups for sweep response data collection). This will / can be superimposed on the selected headfone curve.
It would have an eq with selectable frequency and Q. (min) with warning when the user does dumb sh3t.
It would show everything in a graphical diplay and have everything with an on/off slider
It would include an "audiophile" eq, where one can eq out up to 6dB of certain preselected freq ranges called: Presence, whack, thump, honk, tin, boom.
It would include a basic limiter / compressor
A nice crossfeed needs to be included
A n in-app software player is bonus. But people love to combine and mix / match.

It automatically knows what headphone you plug in. Magic!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back