Tennis Players
May 7, 2009 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

logwed

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering if there are any tennis players out there. If so, what racquet are you using? Also, strings and grips welcome.

I use a Babolat Pure Storm Tour with all babolat luxilon string at ~60.

May 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 22
I've got through a fair range of rackets over the years. At the moment I use:
Wilson Prostaff Rok (93sq in)
Size 5 grip overgripped with Karakal Kumfy, I'd love to play with leather but I need the extra size of a thick overgrip
Prince synthetic gut strings (nothing special, but I only play for fun nowadays)

It's a real shame Wilson discontinued the Prostaff range. The name was much cooler than k-factor. I'm gonna have to get some new rackets this season and it looks like Wilson are about the only ones making smaller head sizes (<95sq in). I just can't play with the large heads that most manufacturers make.

May 7, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 22
How regularly do you guys get to play?

I am just starting off now =) After exams I am hoping to get around 1 hour/1.5 hours per day on the practice pitch and maybe 2-3 hours per week with another tennis player.

May 9, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 22
hi all.
Dunlop. Muscle Weave 200g 95.
i have all different strings in my stix right now. poly, syn gut, poly/syn hybrid. I like the prince synthetic w/duraflex on the cheap.
Logwed:
luxilon strings at 60lbs is making my arm hurt just thinking about it. Ive only tried a Babolat one time. I couldnt get used to it.
stoin:
I tried a ROK a few times and really liked it. The original pro staff 85 will always be THE RACKET.
I have a K-factor 90 that i got on a whim. Ill sell it to you
ksc75smile.gif
(need some new headpones)
smily_headphones1.gif

MartinJ:
an hour a day on the court will make an improvement. 3 hours a week playing points will improve your game faster.

May 9, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 22
I used to play a lot more in high school (I played varsity) but I still hit around every now and then.

I use a Head Prestige Mid-Size with Luxilon Big Banger Ace (18 gauge) and a Babalot Leather Grip.

May 26, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 22
I really like tennis but I never ever get to play. Barely anybody I know shares my enthusiasm.

I've just got a cheap walmart racquet, but for the random match, it gets the job done.

May 26, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 22
Andre Agassi, especially the neon years. He may have more successful with Gilbert, but it wasn't as entertaining. My game however is patterned after Pete Sampras; if that doesn't give away my age...

Fernando Gonzalez is my current fave out of the modern crop. I like to watch that big right wing of his.

May 27, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How regularly do you guys get to play?

I am just starting off now =) After exams I am hoping to get around 1 hour/1.5 hours per day on the practice pitch and maybe 2-3 hours per week with another tennis player.

During the season (High School Boys), I play ~2 hours a day, matches and practice. Just ended today though, my state run did not go as planned...
tongue.gif

May 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #14 of 22
I envy you guys with prostaffs. One of my favourite raquets ever made, maybe best imo.

Anyways,

Raquet: Head Micro-Gel Instinct (Its a pretty good raquet, nothing fancy)

Strings: Babolat Pro Hurricaines (62)

Grips: I like Wilson Pro Overgrips, but due to emergency I had to use Gamma Supremes, they are wayyy to tacky though.

May 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #15 of 22
I just switched from a Volkl Quantum V1 to the Prince O3 Speedport Tour. I try to play at least once a week. I play in the USTA leagues mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back