Temporary JH13 replacement?
Oct 10, 2012 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Chez

Head-Fier
Hi guys

My JH13s need to go back to the USA for repair, so I need to get something to use while they're away.

I've previously had Etymotic ER4Ps (not enough bass) and Westone 3s (too shrill/unnatural sounding).

I'm looking to spend as little as possible, but don't want to have to put up with poor sound quality.  At a push I can go up to £200 but something under £100 would be ideal.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Chez

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 10
Try TDK BA200. I'm happy with those with some boost on the highs, but overall a nice buy for the price. Other than that, maybe a Phonak PFE112. You can tune them the way you like it so it could be a goo choice.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #6 of 10
The RE0, Sony EX600, JVC FXD80, Klipsch Image X10i, X5 and HF5 are amazing quality EIMs for affordable price, if increase price bit then RE272 (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), DBA-02, GR07 are great buy.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #7 of 10
I would suggest getting a mid-range dynamic like the GR07 (I haven't heard the Vsonics).

I have the JH13s, a pair of DBA02-MKIIs and the t-JAY 3s. While the DBAs have a more similar sound signature to the JH13 than the JAYs do, they sound much thinner and dynamically compressed compared to the other two (yes, even the JAYS), and end up the more unlistenable of the two spares.

JH13s are just too full sounding for any dual-TWFK (heard the UE700s briefly too) to compete against. A pair of dynamics, though less detailed, will sound more complete in comparison.

Also a great opportunity to get a slightly warming sounding complement to your JH13s.

YMMV.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 10
Vocals on jH13 are sooooo weak... I found even W4 performs much better in any vocal oriented genres, much more musical. JH13 is like a crystal lens, no fun, too boring.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 10
Vocals on jH13 are sooooo weak... I found even W4 performs much better in any vocal oriented genres, much more musical. JH13 is like a crystal lens, no fun, too boring.

I'd have to disagree with you there. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions guys. I picked up an almost-new pair of TF10s for a bargain price, so I'll give them a go and if they don't work out I'll start going through the list above!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back