tell me your favorite opamp!
Apr 16, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #31 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by NelsonVandal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you dsavitsk. I've seen that. I agree, that's probably what I want. I just don't know where to get those 2SK21x MOSFETs, and I don't think I'm clever enough to implement IRF510. How would you describe the sound of it?

Bdent.com has the mosfets. The sound is very warm and lush, but also pretty detailed in the midrange. Biggest drawback is that bass is not all that punchy, though it is not bad either, just swamped by the mids. It sounds very good after a tube pre -- especially a very detailed slightly cold tube pre like something based on a 6C45pi. I've never tried mine with just a volume pot in front of it -- I will one of these days.

To use the IFR's you only need to slightly alter the stopper resistors and the pinout. RJM's site has the instructions.

You can also build an M^3 without the opamps, I think. You'll need to ask amb about that, though.

Apr 18, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #33 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccontreras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, it was thinking about these somebody tested?

http://www.bursonaudio.com/Burson_HDAM_Module.htm

I have instaled Burson HDAM in 2 CDP(Esound CD5 & Cayin CD17) with great results
the best ones for me, the bigger sound stage i've never found.
they need a long time of burn (200H), they are very very good but a little cold.
a lot of details, very simple to connect.

Apr 21, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

The most you're going to achieve is the quality at that source component. If it produces crap, you're going to end with a marvellous, lively, warmthly and detailed amplified crap.

I partially agree, but you gotta remember those crappy op-amps sound alot less crappy driving a 1Mohm load.

That being said, from a subjective standpoint lm6171 is my fav hands down. colors the sound like crazy, but my ears seem to enjoy it
600smile.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:14 AM Post #35 of 53
LM4652'S in my marantz cdp
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #36 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by dsavitsk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can also build an M^3 without the opamps, I think. You'll need to ask amb about that, though.

No, the M³ cannot be used in that way. The opamp's output sources current through the Vbe multiplier which is used to bias the MOSFETs (and that current also keeps the opamp operating in class A). Without an opamp there won't be any MOSFET bias. Also, in the M³ the opamp (via negative feedback) serves an important role in keeping the output DC offset low.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #37 of 53
I though the LM4562 was really good, until i had the ad826, and I am crazy about it. I have them in my cdp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you probably at least need a buffer, since the output stage of the CD player may not be suitable for driving the load directly. Many people do do this, but it's not a given that just any buffer stage will outperform any IC op-amp in a given application.

I did try running my headphone direct from the output of the cdp and it seems to sound much better then if i were to amp it with an average amp. I have got better definition here. Not sure if this is wat nelsonvandal meant.

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #38 of 53
Hello everyone, I'm new to the headfi community, but I have a long history in the car audio industry, but my favorite op amp sofar is the LME47910 using one for voltage gain and a 2nd as a buffer gives an incredibly smooth dynamic sound with my MS1's, the opa 627/637 that I had in the same setup just didn't compare.

Apr 29, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

With good stuff: going back and forth, back and forth..., and long time listening to a lot of different recordings. If everything tends to sound the same, it's no good. With not so good stuff: 2 seconds than away (like AD823). I actually gave it some more time, but it only takes 2 seconds to find out it's not for my ears.

The problem here is that by the time you disconnect one amp and connect another for a listening test, all sorts of mental "traps" can lead you into a false sense of judgement. The mind's process of determining what (op)amp was-connected, and what will-be-connected, comes into play.
This wonderful brain of ours, is often not useful for these tests....where we "know" what is being compared beforehand.
Three witnesses to a car accident will give three different accounts of what just happened.......and when they are asked to re-tell their story again, two days later, their own stories have changed.
Quote:

I wish I had the energy to do blind A-B tests. But I didn't. To do that, you must have two identical amps and some kind of switch box, and I don't.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233146

Quote:

I think long time listening to a lot of different recordings is second best.

I can agree here, longtime listening can reveal the "ease-of-listenability" or "irritability" of an opamp or it's surrounding circuit. It is something that still could be done with the comparator box......just leave it connected, and switch (push the button) to the other amp after several hours or days. Since you will not know which amp you are hearing, make written notes between each time you push the button, and include in those notes your moods as well, beside your listening impressions. Perhaps make two coloumns and label the amps "1" & "2".
At the end of several "switching" cycles (don't lose track in your notes!!), pull the RCA out of one amp. You will then be revealed to which was labeled "1" and "2".

As far as the time "building" two identical Hamps....if anyone is interested to hear opamp differences, don't go too elaborate.....build 2 simple amplifiers.... a design that relies heavily around a opamp, each amplifier using different opamps. I think you will see how minute the differences really are, if any.

=FB=

Apr 29, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #40 of 53
Quote:

The problem here is that by the time you disconnect one amp and connect another for a listening test, all sorts of mental "traps" can lead you into a false sense of judgement. The mind's process of determining what (op)amp was-connected, and what will-be-connected, comes into play

Well,If you like what your listeningto,isn´t that okay?If you don´t like it,you could either wait until your in another mood,or turn it of!Or change the opamp to sommething you like...Simple as that.
Why all this stuff with different mehtods mumbo jumbo..If you like it listen..
rolleyes.gif

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #41 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freq Band /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you will see how minute the differences really are, if any.

=FB=

What is your basis for claiming this?

Apr 29, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

LOL... judging by the guy's handle, probably because he sees a flat frequency response on all his opamps.
blink.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #43 of 53
Quote:

Thank you dsavitsk. I've seen that. I agree, that's probably what I want. I just don't know where to get those 2SK21x MOSFETs, and I don't think I'm clever enough to implement IRF510. How would you describe the sound of it?

Ryssen - what buffers did you build, and what cans do you have? Those Sijosae buffers I use don't sound that way. They sound warm and full and without irritating colorations. Not the same slam as AD8397, but that's all artificial to my ears.

you can swap the output transistors with something else that' better
smily_headphones1.gif

It's like opamp rolling!!

Apr 30, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #45 of 53
Quote:

Because of my listening results:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233146

Do you think that there are large sonic variances between modern "audio approved" opamps ?
Build that box, try the tests, and tell me if you can tell which opamp you are hearing....then you will know.
Maybe I am wrong, and I'm just imagining that those opamps sound basicly the same.

=FB=

Users who are viewing this thread

Back