tell me your favorite opamp!
Apr 30, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

your eyes will affect your evaluation of sound, yes really.
Example, two different amps are sitting on a table, unplugged......and just by looking at them, and possibly knowing some history behind them, you have already made some decisions about how they should sound.

Maybe we should stop with DIY,and let sommeone else buy our stuff ,and listen to records blindfolded..and yes there are sonic variances between modern "audio approved" opamps,and transistors and more..
blink.gif

May 2, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freq Band /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because of my listening results:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233146

Do you think that there are large sonic variances between modern "audio approved" opamps ?
Build that box, try the tests, and tell me if you can tell which opamp you are hearing....then you will know.
Maybe I am wrong, and I'm just imagining that those opamps sound basicly the same.

=FB=

Wow! I didn't even see your post in the other thread. Sorry for not responding on that one
frown.gif

Which IC buffer did you use?

Op-amps themselves, at least in the tests I've done, can sound considerably different when driving headphones. Something like an OPA2134 doesn't drive a low impedance, reactive load nearly as well as something like the AD8397.

When a buffer gets into the equation, the differences between some chips can be reduced as their individual damping/recovery characteristics are less of an issue and they're all driving a negligible load. A decent amount of op-amps have similar performance characteristics when driving this sort of optimal load. However, if you stray outside of the common 'audio' low slew rate, small open loop bandwidth op-amps, you can still get considerably different results. I can see where the 2107 may sound similar to the 823 in this sort of situation; haven't used an OPA602. I don't know what buffer you're using, though, so it's hard to say much about it.

Anyhow, I'll build one of those boxes when I get some time.

May 3, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can see where the 2107 may sound similar to the 823 in this sort of situation;

We use both of these in the Bloat and they sound very different.

Personally I love the sound of the OPA2107s hard to go past.

May 3, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #49 of 53
Opamps sound very very different from each other compared to cables, connectors, resistors, caps, pots etc. Even different topology in an amp seems to have less impact (to my ears that is). IMO it doesn't matter very much either if the opamp's buffered or not. The difference in sound signature is there all the time. When you go from opamp to no opamp the difference (read improvement) is very obvious.

May 3, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #50 of 53
Personally, for me i think it will be OPA350 judging from the datasheets. REALLY exceptional performance and easy to implement.
I'll implement them in a thin case amplifier with a +/- 2.5V supply. These are rail-to-rail opamps with an extremely high slew-rate considering this. Voltage gain is excellent, output impedance at 100k with a gain of 10 is 2 Ohms.
Output current is 80 mA.

Even more scary specs:
Vio of +/- 0.15 nV
Ib of +/- 10 pA

May 24, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #53 of 53
I've only listened to a couple of op-amps in my CMoy (Panasonic 470uF FM power caps & 0.22uF input caps), but I can tell a difference. For a flat, yet detailed sound, OPA2227PA. It complements my KSC35's well. For a slight darker & some bass boost, OPA2107AP. It goes well with my MDR-7506's, as the 7506 has a slight sibilance sound signature, even more so than my V6's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back