Tell me why you hate the A900!
Apr 3, 2004 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

Dixie Flatline

100+ Head-Fier
All right, I'm starting to be seriously tempted by the A-T A900. Almost everyone who's posted about it lately seems to really like them (thanks especially to dj_mocok for his review, and lindrone for all his various commentary), and they seem very well-suited to my needs. However, before I take the plunge, I want to know -- has anyone out there tried the A900 and couldn't stand them? Why?

A little background on where I am now: very much a newbie at this stuff. I've got the Shure E2's and like them a lot, but I use them for commuting only -- they're not comfortable enough for long-term wear to be my full-time phone. They're also sensitive enough to pick up rather a lot of hiss from imperfect sources, which I've got a lot of. I'm looking for a good closed phone for general home use -- closed because my home is noisy enough that I want to have at least some isolation, and I don't want to leak too much sound into the environment and annoy my wife.
rolleyes.gif

I've tried the Senn HD280's, and I love everything about them -- except the sound. Very flat and dead-sounding, combined with some very uncomfortable grainy harshness on the highs, even after around 500 hours of burn-in. After getting a pair of Sony 7506's (aka V6) to compare, I very quickly gave up on the HD280's and returned them to the store. (Funny thing is, a co-worker of mine told me he was interested in buying the 280's off me for the price I paid, if I decided I didn't want to keep them. I let him listen to them again, beside the 7506's, and he immediately changed his mind about buying the 280's.)

The 7506's I like a lot better -- much livelier sound, better bass, and smoother highs, although still somewhat grating. I'm less thrilled with the comfort and build quality compared to the Sennheisers, though. I've got about 2.5 weeks left to return these, if I'm going to.

After reading some of the enthusiastic commentary on the A900's around here lately, I'm pondering whether to take the leap, return the 7506's, and order them from Audiocubes. I started out looking in the $100 range, so I thought about the A500's after reading lindrone's review, but I figure if I like those, then I'm probably going to wind up with the A900's later on anyway. Might as well take the plunge now.

The things that appeal to me about the description of the A900's:
1) Well-balanced and more fluid/musical than the V6.
2) Sounds great unamped -- I'll probably wind up with a portable amp at some point, mostly so I can get crossfeed, but if I can put that off, so much the better.
3) Forgiving of dubious sources -- my best source at this point is probably a Rio Karma portable, with a mixture of high-bitrate Ogg Vorbis and FLAC. Otherwise, I'll be doing some gaming and some music-listening out of a SB Live soundcard and an elderly, mid-range JVC CDP and receiver. I'm sure there will be source upgrades in my future at some point, but if the A900 makes what I've got now sound better than the 7506 does, I'll be very happy.

What I'm hoping for is a really good pair of all-around phones that handles most musical genres pretty well, doesn't need to be amped to sound good, is comfortable for reasonably long periods, and doesn't point up the inadequacies of my current sources too badly. I'm not serious enough about head-fi (yet) to invest in a "stable" of different headphones for different purposes, which is why I'd like something that handles everything reasonably well.

So that's why I think the A900's might be worth committing to (since I can't return them if I buy them from Audiocubes). Before I decide to order them, though, I'd like to hear from anyone out there who hasn't liked them or felt disillusioned after they got them.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 85
Let me just say there will always be haters whom dislike everything, especially popular items like the A900.

I hate the A900 'cause I just dropped $211 on it, and will have to drop another $150 on Xin's amp, and another $50 on ICs... which concludes why I hate this forum too.
600smile.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 85
Quote:

Originally posted by Stoner
Let me just say there will always be haters whom dislike everything, especially popular items like the A900.

I hate the A900 'cause I just dropped $211 on it, and will have to drop another $150 on Xin's amp, and another $50 on ICs... which concludes why I hate this forum too.
600smile.gif

Ouch. Sorry about your wallet (if you still have one). With exception of my ER4S, I choose headphones that perform very well without an amp. I just got a K240 Studio and it is great...no amp. I was planning to get an HD650, but then I would have to get cables and a compatible amp...forget it...not for me
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 85
I'll gladly be the first to chime in giving the reason I hate my A900. You see, I originally wanted a headphone to use with my iPod that would sound very good. I didn't plan on upgrading or any of that, and when people greeted me with the customary "sorry about your wallet" business, I just laughed at them, thinking, "Thank God that will never be me." But, once I heard the the radical difference my A900 made with my sound, I became a junkie. Glancing at my sig will tell you what the gateway drug known as the A900 has gotten me into. Now, I'm contemplating even further upgrades. Had I never bought the A900, I'd have much more money.

In conclusion, I love the A900, but my wallet doesn't
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 85
For unamped and source-forgiving (though this term is kind of an oxymoron...anyway) you probably can't go wrong with the a900. HOWEVER....i dont think you can get away from this forum without getting at least one amp and maybe even a better source in the future....and then people will start telling that if you liked the a900 you'll like the Sony CD3000 even more....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, as has been previously said, unamped and source-foriging are the deciding factors here

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 85
If you listen to brightly recorded CD, sometimes the cymbals sound like glass breaking.

Who am I kidding! I'm a huge fan of these phones. For the dollar, these phones are a steal!

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #8 of 85
Well . . .

As has been said, the highs can be very bright with some sources and recordings.

The midrange is a bit recessed to my ear. This is particularly apparent with some female vocals.

A900's lack exclusivity now that every Tom, Dick and Harry has found out about them.

And you have to join the cheering section once you hear the sound.

You'll love them.
wink.gif

BW

Apr 4, 2004 at 12:44 AM Post #10 of 85
Right, then, looks like I'm doomed, if that's the worst that the lot of you can come up with.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm resigned to the fact of an amp and a source upgrade somewhere down the line, but I'm not sure whether the A900's will help me postpone the inevitable, or hasten it. (Besides, the longer I wait on those, the longer I don't have to think about the CD3000...)
Quote:

As has been said, the highs can be very bright with some sources and recordings.
<snip>
A900's lack exclusivity now that every Tom, Dick and Harry has found out about them.

After experiencing the 7506, I think my tastes tend more to the bright than the warm (although not quite as extreme as the 7506/V6). As for exclusivity -- if I were looking for exclusivity, I'd be writing a check to Edwood to have him build me a pair of SAKY R1000's.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input, all.

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 85
I think this is a good idea to create a thread asking what people dislike about a headphone, just before you buy in. Otherwise you may not get enough negatives and get an uneven response only from people that like them.

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 85
what i dont like :
they should come up with their own headphone stand for A900...
as you know, the "headband" of A900 consists of 2 wire-like headband.

i dont know how am i suppose to hang/store them.
by the way, for fellow members, do you think its ok just to hang A900 by one wire ? (wont change the shape of headband overtime) ?

Apr 4, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #13 of 85
I've been vacilating between the HD595 and A900 for a week now but this thread does it.
icon10.gif

Clearly the A900 is the way to go (for me) considering my music tastes, intended use and low output sources: Karma, computer and entry level AV system (for the record: I love my Karma :wink: ).

Dixie - that was a great way of inviting comments on the A900.
cool.gif

I've never listened to these phones but they sound good to me.
basshead.gif

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #14 of 85
Reading all these posts, I'm tempted to order a pair also to see what all the commotion is about.

(But with my luck, as soon as I push that "Confirm Order" on the order page, a slew of people who have problems will the A-900s will come out of the woodwork and start posting to this thread
rolleyes.gif
. )

Anyway, hope everybody enjoys their new A-900s and they give you mucho enjoyment!

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 85
(But with my luck, as soon as I push that "Confirm Order" on the order page, a slew of people who have problems will the A-900s will come out of the woodwork and start posting to this thread
rolleyes.gif
. )

lol, that is ussually how i feel about buying stuff, i have not heard anythign bad about the A900, but i`ve said this before, where can you get replacement pads for them?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back