Tell me why I shouldn't buy a LD MKIII
Nov 30, 2008 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Csericks

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently use a LD II with an ipod and HD600s. The majority of my serious listening is with my speaker rig. I have been pleased with my LD II but I am considering an upgrade to the MKIII which is several generations removed from the LDII. I have read most if not all of the posts regarding the MKIII. Are there any of you who have spent time with the MK III who can give me reasons why I would NOT want to buy this reasonably priced amp? Thanks.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 18
Nope. It is really wonderful for the price, especially for the 600s. I love mine.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csericks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently use a LD II with an ipod and HD600s. The majority of my serious listening is with my speaker rig. I have been pleased with my LD II but I am considering an upgrade to the MKIII which is several generations removed from the LDII. I have read most if not all of the posts regarding the MKIII. Are there any of you who have spent time with the MK III who can give me reasons why I would NOT want to buy this reasonably priced amp? Thanks.

I'm having an extremely tough time coming up with a reason... I LOVE it with my DT-770 Pro, DT-880 Pro and formerly with my ATH-W100s. Great amp. However, spring the $7 and go for the M8100 driver tubes. It's a huge difference.

NK

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick 214 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, spring the $7 and go for the M8100 driver tubes. It's a huge difference.

NK

x2. The 8100s enhanced the sound a lot over the stock.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:48 AM Post #6 of 18
I didn't buy it because I am a shallow person. I like big, squared off components, not small components with rounded edges/front panels/body. So, I bought a 336SE. It's tubes are bigger too, which means better! Maybe.

I'm just kidding. But I liked the way my 336SE looked, so I ordered it, and I also liked how customizable it was. And Skylab approved of it, so that's good.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #7 of 18
The LD mkIII is what you call the best bang for the buck tube amp.
Hmm, ok here's a reason not to buy it. If you prefer balanced, then this will not be the one for you (LD mk6 would be the one). Of course in all seriousness, I don't think it matters.

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Direct.com | YUIN

one day left to order @ 299.00

LD MK III is $199.00 + SH $45.00 = $244 from eBay. Ships from China.
You'll probably want to change the driver tubes. $36 to 48 plus S&H at $8 (Looking at Yen Audio for matched pairs). I got a pair of M8161 for $22. So something like $266 total. The amp also functions at a preamp if you want. Not many options for power tubes based on what I've read.

EF1 is $320 shipped with the thanksgiving special. Ships from New York. Comes with a nice tube, RCA clear top. EF1 has better tube rolling options with the 12AU7. Plus, you don't have to worry about buying matched tubes because you'll only need one. This is a hybrid which means it's more suitable for low impedance phones [also based on what I've read (I don't know the technical reasons)]. It has a weird volume pot that doesn't go down all the way. There's always sound even on the lowest volume. Check the reviews on it.

Shipping is important cause it'll cost more and take longer to ship overseas.

I have them both and I vote for the EF1. I've been listening to the EF1 for about four days now. It does a great job with my low impedance phones. The EF1 has the tube sound (warm and rich) while showing a lot of detail. I feel that it shows better instrumental separation and detail than the MK III. I've been hooked on my GS1000 for the past few weeks, so I haven't spent too much time with the Senns. LD amps tend to run a bit hot, but they seem to be doing fine. I've had them for about a month now. The EF1 is only warm to the touch.

The EF1 sounds great with the HD580/HD650, the best I've heard so far. Although a bit laid back and not engaging at times, I think this is the Sennheiser signature sound. I don't think you can get a significant improvement amp wise without spending twice as much (e.g., Woo 6 with Sophia tube, Dark Voice 337, Glow Audio One '09 - this one looks interesting). I'll be pairing the Senns with the balanced MK VI (with 5998s and various tubes) later this week, so I'll find out if something that costs 3x more is enough to rock these Senns. I'd love to try out these other amps, but I'm going to try out electrostats next.

If there's a reason why I'd tell you not to get the MK III, it would be because I don't think the ipod is a good enough source to justify getting the amp. I've connected my X5L to my amps and the sound isn't good. I have an Ipod touch, but haven't tried it as a source for these amps. Maybe it's different with an ipod.

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #9 of 18
So far my experiance with Head-Direct has been good, the EF1 is in backstock now, I guess they sold a lot with this deal, Fang e-mailed me on a Saturday to tell me they are shipping more in via EMS Express, that they are expected to ship out next week and that he would be throwing in a free Fii0 E3 for my wait
icon10.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #11 of 18
IMO, Little Dot amps match well with Sennheisers so you really don't need to upgrade but for the future, if you do get a higher end Little Dot amp, it will be better because tube choices are more easy. Since it will be easier for tube compatibilty, it will be easier to change tubes because of more choices so you can still enjoy the amp many years later in the future and you can even pass it on to your grandchildren.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 18
Since you already have a balanced source go for MK6 balanced amp. Dont waste your money on MK III.

One thing i dont understand is that you have a 840C but you use a ipod as source to you headphone amp. Why dont you just use 840C? You will get better sound from the cdplayer than your ipod!

Nov 30, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cafe zeenuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing i dont understand is that you have a 840C but you use a ipod as source to you headphone amp. Why dont you just use 840C? You will get better sound from the cdplayer than your ipod!

Most of my headphone listening is semi-portable such as at my summer office or various locations in my house. My speaker rig is in a dedicated listening room that is remote enough that I can listen at most any volume at any time. I have had a lot of custom work done to my pre-amp and I think that my speaker system sounds pretty sweet. On occasion use the 840c with headphones but it is pretty rare.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. The 8100s enhanced the sound a lot over the stock.

x3
After a long break from this forum & dusting off the MK3 + M8100. Im still blown away what this combo with the Russians powertubes can do
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back