Telemarketer's
Oct 13, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #16 of 23
here's a trick i read somewhere... they use machines to dial your phone #, and when you pick up it switches over to the telemarketer. so you record that tone you hear when you get a number that doesn't exist on your answering machine (you know... "beep bop boop, the number you dialed is out of service..."). when the dialing machine hears these tones they usually take your # off the calling list, because it'd be a waste to call #'s that don't exist. just use the answering machine to screen your calls, and be sure to tell your friends to expect the tones so they don't hang up on you. you can download the tones off the net somewhere if you search.

i just read about. i haven't tried it though. i know here in NYC you can add your phone # to a list that telemarketers are not allowed to call, and it's worked extremely well.

Oct 13, 2002 at 2:04 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
I don't like the idea of opt-out lists. Giving another party your real information to get people to stop calling you seems unwise to me. Probably just the paranoia acting up again. I should take something and lay down.

DMA is legit [modified: as legit as an association associated with a highly annoying industry employing the usual tactics to prevent decent legislation that is not in there interest can be]. Problem is, not every company (especially small and/or weasly ones) is a DMA member. Also, there are the usual loop holes that exist in state laws (pre-existing relationships etc.)

Oct 13, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #18 of 23
DMA is "legit" only so far as you call someone who isn't actually technically breaking any laws "legit".

In fact they are far from legit in any real sense of the word. They are bunch of lying, sneaking bastards more than happy to invade your privacy for even the most miniscule chance of financial gain. They employ those whores that go by the name "lobbyists" to ensure that their actions remain legal. Any and all do-not-call lists are just props to support their claims to the legislators. I hope that anyone involved in any way in unsolicited sales dies of tapeworms.

Oct 13, 2002 at 4:24 PM Post #19 of 23
I only get about 3 calls a year from telemarketers. But my phone number is unlisted and we never give it out unless neccesary. Now that I see all the fun you can have I should post it here so that some telemarketers may get it.
328-7448 be sure and spell it out.

btw This is the number I give to salesmen who think they need to call me if that item comes in.

Oct 13, 2002 at 7:08 PM Post #20 of 23
If you just immediately say: "Take this number off your list and never call again." They are required by law to take you off. It works much better than just hanging up. If you trick them, yell at them, or just hang up the phone on them, they can just call you back later.
But, if you are into being an ******* to them (which certainly feels good), I like the old: "I'm a little busy right now, how about you give me your home phone number and I will call you back and we can sort this whole thing out." That, or the even more annoying method of listening to their entire pitch every little bit, asking tons of nitpicky and detailed questions, and then, right before they ask you for credit card information, tell them that you have changed your mind and you want them to take you off their calling list.
That said, these people have heard every trick in the book, and none of them will phase them. They are just doing their job, as annoying as it may be. I think the best way to do it is to curtly ask to be removed and hang up. You minimize your chances of being called back by the same people, and you don't aggravate the telemarketer, who, is he or she is pissed off, may decide to "forget" to put you on the no call list.

Mar 14, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #21 of 23
I thought I'd revive this thread because I have a lot of information.

First off...the Telezapper...it works wonders. My mother gave one to her parents and they haven't received a single sales call since installing it.

But I don't know why anyone want to be on a no call list, messing with telemarketers is so fun. Think of it as a reverse prank call that you can't get arrested for. It does annoy me when you answer and no one's there though (auto dialers), but the caller ID usually tips you off with no information or "out of area".

There's a whole library of tele-tormenting stories and ideas here, pick and pull from them and have some fun:

http://www.antitelemarketer.com

I've read pretty much all the stories, I seriously haven't laughed that hard in years.

I like the ones where you get them to turn up their headset by speaking softly, then blast them with either an airhorn blast or a scream at the top of your lungs.

Insult them about their job, make them feel lower than the scum in your sink.

WASTE THEIR TIME, this makes them lose money and keeps them from calling the next person. Sing to them, make it sound as lousy and off key as you possibly can, try some stupid jokes on them. Talk while their talking, make yourself sound crazy. Talk to them like they are an idiot. I came up with this one. "Hello, how are you today?", "Fine, did you know today is Thursday?", "Yes", "And do you know that yesterday was Wednesday and tomorrow will be Friday?". If they say something like "this is pretty basic information" or something, say "oh, I'm sorry, I thought all telemarketers were dumber than doorknobs, did you get your GED yet? (implying that they didn't make it through HS)".

Also, talk to them on the toilet, flush the toilet several times, dump water in the toilet and explain the "diarrea" in vivid detail. Make them feel uncomfortable.

When they ask you how you're doing, go into detail about all the problems (especially health problems) you're going through. Get into details about your personal life (make things up), things they really don't want to know about. Make them sorry they asked.

If it's a guy and you're a guy, hit on him, ask him what he's wearing and all that stuff. If he responds positively, hang up. If not, continue on until he hangs up. Girl/girl, same story.

This guy is THE KING of tele-tormenting, you can get some very valuable ideas from him:

http://www.davehitt.com/may99/tm.html

- and update here:

http://www.davehitt.com/jan02/tmmmda.html

I especially like the part where he hands the phone to his daughters and they each take turns telling the TM the details of their day not giving the TM a chance to talk.

Here's some of my favorite stories:

My dad got repeated phone calls from some guy who wanted him to invest in something. He kept promising him a high return on his initial investment. My father tried to persuade him by saying he didn't have any extra money to invest right now, but the guy persisted and kept calling back. Finally, he called and told my father that they had a new offer and for only $500 he had the potential of earning $10,000. My father said "well great. Then you know what, if you're willing to put up the initial $500 for me I'll pay you back when I get my return". He never heard from him again.

Here's what I've started to say to a telemarketer who asks me if I would like to save money: "I save my money by not spending it on telemarketing sales calls. In fact, I save a whole lot of money that way!"

A friend of mine received a call from a young lady selling something my friend was not interested in. While trying to be polite he kept telling her he was not interested and she persisted. Finally he asked, " What color panties are you wearing?" She responded indignantly with some thing to the effect of that he was being disgusting. His response was, "well, you kept talking to me about something I wasn't interested in, so I figured that I'd talk to you about something I was interested in." The call ended quickly.

Why do you insist on calling the payphone outside of my cardboard box? This phone is for the homeless!

"You are collecting for the hungry third world countries starving kids? You know what... Why doesn't that cameraman on those commercials give the little bastards some food! I bet he packs a lunch for his day of work to videotape starving kids!"

Here's a mean - but effective - technique: Wait for them to finish their opening spiel, feign interest, etc. Then when it's your turn to talk say in the most contemptuous voice you muster: "Excuse me, but this is what you wanted to do when you grew up?"
----------------------------------------------

BTW, I received a call wanting me to apply for the Bally's credit card (I'm a Bally's member) and transfer my club dues to the CC account. So I was like "Let me get this straight. I can continue to pay monthly interest free like I'm doing now, or I can pay monthly WITH interest using this card. Do you think I have the IQ of a doorstop?"

Annoy the TM more than he annoys you and YOU win.

BTW, if there is ever anything you ARE interested in, have them send you the info in the mail so you can look it over, any LEGITIMATE business will do this for you. They might counter with "but this is a limited time offer", so say "then I'm not interested" <click>.

And above all else, [size=small]HAVE FUN![/size]

BTW, if any mods find anything offensive in this post, please edit out the offensive material rather than deleting the whole post. I've put alot of time into this post. I don't think there's anything offensive though. I apologize in advance if I have posted anything offensive.

Mar 14, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
My local phone service (and I'm sure many others) offers a service called Privacy Guard. Basically, if the call comes in without Caller ID data, you have to approve the call first. If the caller gets the Privacy Guard message and decides to hang up, knowing that I'll reject them, my phone never rings.

I kid you not, it has almost completely eliminated telemarketer calls.

It's available in my area too, I didn't subscribe to the service though because international calls also come in without callerID data, and thus have to go thru the privacy guard. It's a hassle for those who call me from overseas and it also costs them an extra minute or so of toll charge to get pass the system.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back