Telarc 1812 Overture: new vs. old
Jan 19, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
Why is that?

That particular portion of the music is very grandiose and the booming of a large bore gun just seems to fit in much better than the whip-crack of a field piece. Of course, the ones in this recording don't really resemble either and after reading all the cautions about how dangerous the recording is, it's pretty hysterically funny when you actually hear them!
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
Why is that?

--Chris

I don't know what the difference is, all I know is that the old recording had much deeper, better cannons, and the new recording has more articulate and cheesy-sounding cannons. Since they hired the same guys, why couldn't they use the same cannons? The new ones just aren't good enough for me.

Jan 19, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #18 of 19
I,too, have thought the cannon fire seemed weak. Then again, I am listening through headphones.

But for anyone listening through speakers, it may be worth noting that for the 1812 Overature recording Telarc used the LFE channel for "height" information and not for the subwoofer. According to the liner notes, they are relying on the listener's multichannel amplifier to calculate the subwoofer channel from the other audio channels by using its bass system. (They recommend setting a rolloff at 80Hz).

Since I am away at college I am unable to test on any speaker system to see if this makes any difference in the cannon sound, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case someone else has the means and the curiousity to try it.

Jan 20, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #19 of 19
I am using headphones as well for BOTH recordings. My SR-80's reproduce an extremely deep BOOOOoooooM on the old and on the new one it's a loud CRACK with a very low frequency hum following it, but it's still not the BOOM of the old one. Ah well. That 1812 Capprocio Italien CD came highly reccommended I might have my dad order one for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back