Teething problems w/ HD595
Jan 7, 2009 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Fetimo

New Head-Fier
Hey there,
Recently bought a pair of lovely Sennheiser HD595's and I really want to love them especially after all the stunning reviews that they've gained but constantly find myself trying to tweak them and get them sounding better.

I've got a pretty modest setup (atm ~192kbps VBR AAC's -> MacBook -> Nad 3225PE amp -> 'phones), is there any way to improve the sound with what I've got already? I'm a student and don't have a lot of money to spend on a DAC/ headphone amp setup but would be willing if there was a rig in the £100 range. On a much simpler note I just find myself playing with the headphones all over my head, they just don't seem to sit nicely, is there a certain 'right' way to wear them (especially with the E.A.R. technology)?

Anyone who wants to share their first headphone wearing experiences/ mishaps feel free to share and all the more better if it has some relevence to my concerns :senn595smile:

Jan 12, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 13
Anyone?

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 13
The only problem I had with the 595s was a tendency to rotate forward when I read while wearing them. I never figured out a way to really correct this, though. Sorry.

As far as improving the sound, I would say that you should save your money and go for a bigger upgrade, possibly phones + modest amp in 4-6 months. I would say that that would be a more worthwhile upgrade to the sound than anything in your existing chain for 100 pounds.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 13
I know you prob dont want to hear it....

but i think if you upgraded your source and your music you will find that will really make a difference. 192k VBR AAC are ok, but i think if you re-ripped your music into ALAC, you will notice a big difference. After that i would look into a dac like the Apogee Duet since you have a MAC.

Think of it like this....you could upgrade every single piece of equipment you have right now with best headphone, best amp....however its the music that will bring that new can and amp down....

Live by the rule....

Garbage in -> Garbage out

Jan 12, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for the quick informative responses
smily_headphones1.gif

I have looked into the Apogee Duet but it's a bit out my price range at the moment. If anything was looking at a) hand building one like the Millet Starving Student or a PA2V2 or LDM+.

But yeah re-ripping everything to ALAC I knew was going to be something I'd do one day but with 16000 songs and only a fraction on CD it narrows down my selection a lot. What I've been doing so far is secure ripping everything with Max and then converting everything to high quality AAC (akin to EAC).

Also, yes got the same reading problem, part of the reason why I started experimenting with different positions
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 13
Just re-ripped one of my favourite albums to ALAC (Together We're Heavy by The Polyphonic Spree) and it sounded astounding. Thanks for the recommendation, I really thought I was getting CD quality from AAC's but it seems I was much mistaken! It's lovely being able to hear the instruments themselves rather than the sound they produce and all the subtleties in the recording. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Ordered a Zero DAC/ amp from a fellow headfi'er too so that should expand some of the soundstage and enhance the bass a little I hope on the Senn's
biggrin.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #8 of 13
Seems like you're saying the HD595 fits too loose on your head. If so, you might be better off with tighter fitting headphones. As I recall the HD595 fit slightly loose on my head, but that just made it more comfortable and was not a problem because I listened while reclined.

Chances are you'll get the better sound you're wanting out of them with higher quality transfers, as already has been suggested.

Probably would be best to determine if you will be switching to tighter fitting headphones before upgrading any other equipment.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #9 of 13
You are just like me. The problems you mentioned are the reasons I sold my pair. I too could not find the right way to wear them and the sound -though good- did not impress me.

So what can you do. Get another headphone. Be it the cheaper Alessandros/Grados or save up for something higher end. FWIW I preferred the Alessandro MS-1s over the 595s.

Also in the meantime upgrade your mp3 files to lossless ones.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 13
@apatN:
You have Beyer 880's, those are the headphones I was going to get before I went into a store and bought the HD595's in a on-the-spur moment kind of thing. How do they sound in comparison? Thievery Corp and similar sounding music makes up a lot of my collection so would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #11 of 13
Suppose you could try the iBasso D3 or the Zero, if you try Zero make sure you get it from a very trusted dealer with tons of good testimonials, as there are a lot of QC issues with em.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fetimo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@apatN:
You have Beyer 880's, those are the headphones I was going to get before I went into a store and bought the HD595's in a on-the-spur moment kind of thing. How do they sound in comparison? Thievery Corp and similar sounding music makes up a lot of my collection so would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it.

To me they are what I wanted the 595s to be. They are quite polite which works really great for Thievery Corporation. They do require some sort of amplification though and they like a clean signal from your source as well. They sound good without but a tad lifeless. The interconnects I made recently also helped (made the sound more coherent, much more pleasant).

If you find the 595s boring and they don't seem to impress you the Beyers might be what you're looking for. The way the 595s handles the highs and soundstage is comparable to the Beyer but overall the DT880s give you more texture. They are overall just better.

Do consider the Sennheiser HD6x0 as well. With anything you get however (and I find it with the Beyers most true) feed them a nice clean and amplified source or you will probably still be disappointed.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 13
Good to see the lossless part helped. now take the rest of your cd's and rerip them, and buy the other music you've got laying around
wink.gif
. quality rips really can make a difference.
I do hope you like the Zero. After that, take your time getting used to it, see what you like/dislike and then you can start thinking about other headphones etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back