Best for bass head audiophile:

• Ultrasone Signature Pro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 8, 2018 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ronkupper

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

First post here and I'm about to make my first step into the head-fi world (site and hobby) :grin:

TL;DR:
  1. Which would you recommend, Ultrasone Signature Pro or Fostex TH-900 MKII for an audiophile techno head?
  2. Other options to consider?
  3. DAC + AMP to go with them?

A bit of background:
I'm a long time computer audio enthusiast/audiophile (and of course music lover) but this would be my first headphone system. ^_^

I mostly listen to electronic music, specifically Techno (as in "Berghain Techno"). Other than that I enjoy good music from many genres.

Main purpose: I'm looking for a stationary system for long listening sessions at home.

Budget: < $2000 for phones + gear. Value minded.

My Search:
Where I live I can't find demo rooms for the majority of high-end headphones except for the most common brands (like Sens) so I've been reading reviews and posts for several hours today and have narrowed down my options to either the Ultrasone Signature Pro or the Fostex TH-900 MKII.

My biggest fear with audiophile grade phones is that they are usually less suitable for bass heavy electronic music. Planar headphones with euphoric mids also pique my curiosity but I couldn't find affirmation regarding their suitability for bass-heads-techno-lovers like moi :p

For DAC+AMP I was thinking about the $499 Schiit JOTUNHEIM (love these guys!) connected to either my HTPC directly or a spare Android phone (LG V10) as a WiFi Roon endpoint, so it'll be next to the couch (might add a network player like the sMS-200ultra in the future when budget permits).

I would really like to hear your opinions and I'm open to other suggestions.

As a reference for my taste - I've listened extensively to HD800s (connected to a Musical Fidelity M6S DAC) and I have to say this:
1. They are screw*** amazing. Truly amazing.
2. They are severely lacking in bass/sub-bass/punchiness to be really enjoyable for me with the genre I listen to the most.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Ron

Apr 12, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi Ron,
first of all, nice music taste, i really like the Berghain techno series from Ostgut!

I've been stumbled over your question while i was looking for a review of the Ultrasone.
I can see in the meantime you got the Fostex TH900MK2 with a Fiio Q5.

How satisfied are you with the TH900 in terms of bass? I have also a TH900, just with a different amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back