Technics SU-G50 help!
Mar 23, 2013 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Gavither

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I have a HT Omega Claro Halo using high impedance gain and I recently swapped the op amps to the suggested OPA2132P and they're awesome. I use a Sennheiser PC 333D because I hadn't intended on upgrading from them for a while, and they indeed lasted me two and some years until a warranty replacement.

Now, I have this old amp from 89 or 91 that is no longer in working condition for whatever reason the power switch is still good, checked with multimeter and power seems the get through as there's a humming coming from the powersupply, but it just doesn't turn on. When releasing the power switch, a mechanical "click" can be heard coming from around the heatsink, perhaps under the main board. I was curious if this amp would be worth-while to fix (it was always kept in good condition, it's also listed as "New Class A") as I might run the RCA from my Claro Halo to it, powering my speakers and subwoofer. But I have a few questions first if anyone would be so kind to enlighten me, as I am fairly new to this:

1. Can I safely run my 32-600 ohm impedance audio card to the amp?
2. Would the "Phones" output be suitable to drive my headset?
3. Assuming the amp is not worth being fixed, would a Astro Mixamp drive my headphones slightly better if I run optical (it's 192 khz, 24 bit) from the audio card to the mixamp?
4. Can I use anything from this broken stereo amp to perhaps make a custom amp in the future (going to a trade school course around electronics and computers soon)?

Thanks! I do hope the amp can be fixed as I have heard negative things about the mixamp and I don't care about console games anyway. I'd also like to surprise my father, the real owner of the amp lol, and get it fixed for our enjoyment, as he assumes it's just trash now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back