Technics SL-XP550
Oct 12, 2002 at 9:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gryphon1972

Head-Fier
Just got myself this beautiful player......when it is plug into a wall wart and being played, the display and the play, stop, forward, backward button all lits up in green color....

Sound wise, it has headphone out and line out and it also has DSP and XBS which can all be used through the line out....

It's sound from the line out is almost on par with my current favourite D465.....although both sounding a little different....the D465 has better high end extension....making the sound a little more airy....however the midrange is just slightly lean....making a male voice sounding just a little light( dont know if this is the right term)

The SL-XP550 on the other hand had slightly less extension and a little brighter on the lower treble....but what its is good as is the midrange which sounds fuller than the D465....making voices and instruments sounding warmer.....

But for the price I paid for it....I must say it sounds ridiculously good ......

After reading the post by Purk on the sony 311....I tried switching the dsp mode to live and it is really quite fun...with a much bigger sound stage
biggrin.gif

Any one else has the player too?

Oct 12, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 9
hi,
Congratulation on your purchase. By the way, does the line out of your technics works with DSP? If "yes" that can be nice. I used to have the D-465, with its beautiful aluminum body. However, I prefer the D-E900 to it, so I gave the 465 to my girlfriend, sadly it doesn't fuction perfectly like it used to.

Purk

Oct 14, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Thank God my XP550 is alive again.....

Really do not know whats the reason.....yesterday it was having trouble reading disc.....displaying a 'No Disc' everytime I tried to play.....but right now it is ok......I dont know how long it will last.....but as I listen to it longer....it seems to be a notch better than my current D465 .....

Its soundstage is much more focus and each individual instrument and voice seems to have much more of a space of its on......the D465 seems to be slightly veiled in comparison.....though the treble extension of the D465 cannot be beaten....

Anybody has any idea whats the fault.....a dirty lens.....I suspect the lens is going to die soon....

Looks like I got to hunt for such players again......

Oct 14, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #5 of 9
Hi,
I'm glad the your PCDP is alive and kicking again. Try cleaning the lens and the pick arm. Good luck.
Sony D-465 has similar sound characteristics to the D-E905, but a notch belows.
Purk

Oct 14, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 9
You can find it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back