Technics SL-XP5?
May 31, 2005 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mrdon

500+ Head-Fier
There is one for sale on eBay and I can't seem to find any reviews on the unit. How does this unit compare with vintage Sony's? How is the line out vs. headphone out? Thanks!

May 31, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon
There is one for sale on eBay and I can't seem to find any reviews on the unit. How does this unit compare with vintage Sony's? How is the line out vs. headphone out? Thanks!

In my memory,XL-XP5 is totally the same as Panasonic SL-S500.I have S500,and
IMO,S500 doesn't have a good line out.I don't like s500s' line out.

But S500s' headphone out don't seem to be so bad.The sound is a little cold and
the soudatge is wide.I think s500 would be nice for classics and rocks.But I think
jazz and vocal are not suitable for s500.

Jun 1, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 5
I have a XL-XP5 for about 2 months now and I have to say that I love how it sounds. Mostly I listen to Classical music with XP5 + Headsave Classic + HD600. Unlike what stranger0429 mentioned, in my opinion XP5 has a great line-out and the sound stage is not wide but detail. It makes me feel like surrounding by music on stage instead of watch music under stage. In addition, the phones-out has the power to drive HD600 without any problem.

I don't own any Sony PCDP but compare with my Denon DCP-150, XP5 is not too far away from the King.
600smile.gif

I also saw the post on eBay and it looks like a really nice package.

Sep 13, 2019 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 5
hi,
i just got an SL-XP5 and it is a superb CD player. Ultra, ultra loud 32mw into 32ohms and with that power it can power large cans, forget using small earphones on this unit. I do not know why people search on out the earlier XP7 as this unit as digital filters as opposed to the analog ones on the final output stage of the XP7 which cause phasing. The direct drive, lots of torque, is the best I have come across it can withstand a jolt much better than say the Denon DCP 100, 150 or the Sony 555. I would supppose Technics expertise in building direct drive motors to turn LPs was valuable in designing the motor for the XP5.

The construction metal, minimal design accenting and large perspex viewer make this possibly the best looking Portable CD player of all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back