Technics SL-BD22 - is it any good?
Dec 22, 2008 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Chopha

100+ Head-Fier
Hello folks,

I searched through my father’s old equipment and found a Technics SL-BD22 that, beside a noisy engine, works perfectly fine. Since I’m new to vinyl playback I don't know if this is a good player?

The pickup seems pretty horrific and I wonder if there is any way to upgrade this player to at least "mid-end" level? Give me all your tips!

This is the player I'm referring to, but mine is from the 90s:
Features and specs on Technics SL-BD22 Turntable - Turntables - Shopping.com

Thanks in advance...
Christopher

Dec 22, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello folks,

I searched through my father’s old equipment and found a Technics SL-BD22 that, beside a noisy engine, works perfectly fine. Since I’m new to vinyl playback I don't know if this is a good player?

The pickup seems pretty horrific and I wonder if there is any way to upgrade this player to at least "mid-end" level? Give me all your tips!

This is the player I'm referring to, but mine is from the 90s:
Features and specs on Technics SL-BD22 Turntable - Turntables - Shopping.com

Thanks in advance...
Christopher

The BD22 is a decent budget deck with no upgrade path. Try first to address the noise problem. It may just need a new belt. If you can resolve the noise issues, purchase a new P-Mount cartridge for it. Audio Technica, Shure, Ortofon, Grado, and Stanton all make them. You can purchase one on line from LP Gear or the Needle Doctor. These cartridges require no set-up so you just install them and go. If you can't resolve the noise just pass on this deck. It really isn't worth spending much money on but it is a good start to try vinyl.

Dec 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The BD22 is a decent budget deck with no upgrade path.

Try to upgrade the detachable power cord and the interconnects. Not to mention upgrade its isolation with either Vibrapods or the metal cones from Partsexpress.com.

Check out this thread on the Technics @ hometheaterforum.com

Dec 23, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try to upgrade the detachable power cord and the interconnects. Not to mention upgrade its isolation with either Vibrapods or the metal cones from Partsexpress.com.

Check out this thread on the Technics @ hometheaterforum.com

Interesting read. My brother has one of these tables and it is surprisingly good for what it is. The cartridge that came with it was pretty cheap so after a few months with it he upgraded to the top of the line Audio Technica P-Mount. Any turntable can of course be upgraded but the beauty of this unit is that its plug and play. Instead of putting time and funds upgrading a Technics BD22, would it not be better to invest in a better turntable to start with? This Technics is really not much more than a toy and there are millions of idle used turntables out there that are built much better for less money since the digital revolution. For anyone seeking a turntable project, there are much better places to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back