Technics SL-1300 Turntable
May 19, 2008 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

barmar46

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought this vintage turntable knowing little to nothing about it but having just received about 2500 albums out of storage but having nothing to play them on. There is a current thread about the SL-1500 and some comparisons to the SL-1200 but no mention of the 1300.I would appreciate any comparisons and contrasts between the 1300 and these other various vintage models and also how it stands up against the comparative Rega(R2?) of that era.Also being of total virgin vinyl I would appreciate any and all suggestions you might offer.

May 19, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 3
The SL1300 is a more automated version but from the same series / period as the original SL1200/SL1500. It's a very nice deck to get into vinyl with and with a decent cart will sound lovely. The Denon DL moving coil carts will be a great sounding match especially the DL103 if you have a phonostage that can accomodate a lower output moving coil or the DL-110/160 if you don't.
These are some of the best places to buy them from depending on the exchange rates.
Williams Schallplattennadel Shop Denon
EIFL EXPORT HOME PAGE,vacuum tube,valve,amplifier,speaker,mail-order sales
Audio Cubes II - High Fidelity Audio Products

Most of whats written in the links in the other thread about SL## series decks hold true for this as well in mechanical terms.
As far as upgrades go though the SL1300, due to it's added user friendly automation, was never offered without a tonearm.

So while there were SL120 and 150 which allowed the user the option to fit the tonearm of their choosing there was no SL130 (although there was an SL150MK2 which looks awfully similar) as this was aimed at everyday users who wanted automation rather than tweakability.

That said from the looks of it you could probably remove the arm if you wanted to and fit a more modern one at the cost of loosing the automation but personally I wouldn't bother as it's probably easier to find another Technics if you want to upgrade at a later stage and a shame to do this to a vintage Technics.

The Technics / Denon combo will really make music for you sounding warm and very involving with great dynamic slam from the direct drive motor and will certainly be a good introduction to the strengths of vinyl.

As far as comparions to the Rega P2 go I'd say the Technics will more than hold it's own in stock form certainly in respect to the solidity of the presentation especially in the bass where the Rega can sound a little lightweight.
The Technics will also time a lot better than the Rega but where it will loose out is in colouration and accuracy as the Rega arms just sound more in control and neutral accross the frequency range even on a table as basic as the P2.
Also though you have to bear in mind that given the cost difference between even a 2nd hand Rega and what you commonly pay for an SL1300 these days, if you spend that on a decent cart the Technics will wipe the floor with a Rega so it's a good deal.

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 3
I don't think there are many differences between both when it comes to sound. As for the Rega, I could also recommend you the Pro-ject Essential or Debut turntables. Audiophile entry level sound at an excellent price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back