TECHNICS REPAIR ADVICE
Feb 29, 2012 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

BlazingArrow74

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I have a Technics SL-D202 I'd like to rewire with silver solid core (32AWG wire, 30AWG with the teflon coating), and I don't really know where to begin. I also have pitch stablility issues with the table and I planned on tuning that up by spraying some Deoxit in the three areas circled in yellow below, and also adjusting the two pots next to each other so the 33.5 to 45 RPM change requires less servo adjustment from the wheel ... Kevin at KAB is not willing to work on anything outside of the 1200-Line series, and my usual local guy, Dave, has been AWOL every time I call his shop (North Side Chicago), so I've decided to go at it alone ...

Basically, I want to make sure the gauge I get (practically, 30AWG) will not be too restrictive, but I'm also at a loss for not knowing how, or if I can even bypass the board shown in the next picture completely (as I'd prefer to do) and use a thicker gauge like 28AWG (30, wire): as they would now double as phono out cables ... And I figured this would be harder b/c then I'd have to add shielding coming out of the back (as opposed to just wiring silver, shielded, pre-terminated cables to the board) ...

On top of this, I have no idea how to access the wiring in the arm itself, and as you can see in the overall-view picture, if I have to remove the auto-return mechanisms to get to, it would probably be a real pain ... So after much research, I figured I'd have to buy a spool of insulated silver 30 or 28, 2 silver plated terminations, Deoxit, some of Mundorf's solder, and quite possibly, some of the smallest shielding available ... I wanted to get away with this spending no more than $100, but I'm not sure what to do ... I'd like to get this done b/c I really appreciate the semi-auto functions of this table and getting a 1200 and having Kevin mod it will cost me more in the end, I'm sure. (i don't even think he bothers with silver)

I'm open to any suggestions, and also any offers to do the job by anybody locally (IL, WI, IA, IN), but I would expect the offer to include materials or If I provide materials, I would DEFINITELY expect the final cost to be sub-$125 ... If any DIY'er has experience with this and leftover silver spool from a previous upgrade, this is probably a good opportunity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back