Technics EAM-30 Headphone Ambience controller - what is this?
Apr 7, 2006 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sgrossklass

Headphoneus Supremus
Saw this on fleabay, anyone ever heard of the thing? It's certainly not much younger than the HD430 sold along with it. Didn't know Matsu****a made headphone amps way back when, much less ones with "ambience control" (how's that work?).

Apr 8, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 7
Hmmm - adjustable crossfeed, maybe?

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Seems to be quite a rare thingy - do you intend to bid on it?

Apr 8, 2006 at 10:28 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
P.S.: Seems to be quite a rare thingy - do you intend to bid on it?

Nah, gotta keep my pennies together... (Still need some better portable cans, and an oldschool HD520/530 or possibly K240M for my bedside-fi setup wouldn't be bad either.)

Mar 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw this on fleabay, anyone ever heard of the thing? It's certainly not much younger than the HD430 sold along with it. Didn't know Matsu****a made headphone amps way back when, much less ones with "ambience control" (how's that work?).

I suspect the Ambince control will move the singer closer or further away from you. It just changes the properties of the band around the human voice and many guitars may sound closer or further away using this. You can achieve the same using a narrow band eq, or one with many bands to shape that area around 1-4 KHz.

Or it could be another function which creates a sense of wider space by adding a fainter echo of each channel into the other. This will only work on stereophonic recordings.

I am leaning the most to the latter. It seems to be a feature that would sound good over headphones.

-Mikkel

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 7
i don't know if you are interested in another answer to your question of 2006. anyhow, you guessed the technics eam30 was as aged as the hd430. it's older, actually, it's from 1976. i'll try to find an article (in DAGA report, german academic society for acoustic) from that time where it was discribed in details. several companies tried to make sterephonic and binaural recordings compatible. the other boxes that i remember were the revox a720 from 1974, the beyer lse1 from 1976 and the experimental pfleid realtime-processor from 1981.

they all added delayed (0.3ms), modified (low pass) and reverse signals to each opposite channel, which should simulate the soundfield around the head (interferences). one problem of that time was, that the community moved from free field to diffuse field measuring and compensation for headphones. those boxes for example were fine for beyer dt440 but not for the dt880 or acceptable for sennheisers hd414 but not for the hd430. another thing is, that recording techniques (were to place the mics) wasn't and still isn't standardized. so the adding of head field signals could only be kind of sound effect and not coming closer to high fidelity.

another idea to add headfield signals was a structure, leaning on neck and shoulders with small speakers in front of the head, invented at the heinrich-hertz-institute in 1974.

if i find more infos about mentioned boxes i could post them - tell me if... and where i should upload scan files to - tia

Jun 11, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #7 of 7
i don't know if you are interested in another answer to your question of 2006. anyhow, you guessed the technics eam30 was as aged as the hd430. it's older, actually, it's from 1976. i'll try to find an article (in DAGA report, german academic society for acoustic) from that time where it was discribed in details. several companies tried to make sterephonic and binaural recordings compatible. the other boxes that i remember were the revox a720 from 1974, the beyer lse1 from 1976 and the experimental pfleid realtime-processor from 1981.

they all added delayed (0.3ms), modified (low pass) and reverse signals to each opposite channel, which should simulate the soundfield around the head (interferences). one problem of that time was, that the community moved from free field to diffuse field measuring and compensation for headphones. those boxes for example were fine for beyer dt440 but not for the dt880 or acceptable for sennheisers hd414 but not for the hd430. another thing is, that recording techniques (were to place the mics) wasn't and still isn't standardized. so the adding of head field signals could only be kind of sound effect and not coming closer to high fidelity.

another idea to add headfield signals was a structure, leaning on neck and shoulders with small speakers in front of the head, invented at the heinrich-hertz-institute in 1974.

if i find more infos about mentioned boxes i could post them - tell me if... and where i should upload scan files to - tia

So it's basically an ancient crossfeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back