Technics EAH-A800
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 28
Have you try the xm5 yet? Much better SQ than the a800 if I recall correctly
No, but I think it will be just as uncomfortable as the XM4. The earcups on both are very shallow, and the pads compress a lot, which means the drivers rest right on my ears while wearing them. Can't wear them for more than an hour after which my ears start to hurt. I'm buying these for use while traveling (on planes, etc.), so comfort is #1, SQ and other features second.

Initial impression of sound is that they sound a bit more balanced than XM4 out of the box. XM4 is bass heavy with rolled off highs (but EQ can fix a lot of that).

I will be comparing them against the Momentum 4 when I receive those tomorrow. Also have the B&W PX7 S2 (which I've already decided I won't keep because of comfort issues, and also app issues - it just refuses to connect with the companion app, even though it connects with phone itself just fine).

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #17 of 28
No, but I think it will be just as uncomfortable as the XM4. The earcups on both are very shallow, and the pads compress a lot, which means the drivers rest right on my ears while wearing them. Can't wear them for more than an hour after which my ears start to hurt. I'm buying these for use while traveling (on planes, etc.), so comfort is #1, SQ and other features second.

Initial impression of sound is that they sound a bit more balanced than XM4 out of the box. XM4 is bass heavy with rolled off highs (but EQ can fix a lot of that).

I will be comparing them against the Momentum 4 when I receive those tomorrow. Also have the B&W PX7 S2 (which I've already decided I won't keep because of comfort issues, and also app issues - it just refuses to connect with the companion app, even though it connects with phone itself just fine).
Yep, I agree to that as the xm5 made my ears sweat in 2 hours of listening. The pad aren't so bad if you have a small to medium size head, but it les comfortable than the xm4 for sure, the adaptive anc is kinda weird but not better than the xm4?.

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #18 of 28
Yep, I agree to that as the xm5 made my ears sweat in 2 hours of listening. The pad aren't so bad if you have a small to medium size head, but it les comfortable than the xm4 for sure, the adaptive anc is kinda weird but not better than the xm4?.
It seems that in most ways the XM5 is a downgrade. Only SQ seems to be an improvement. Newer isn't always better :)

Sep 1, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #20 of 28
So these Technics have like a weird hollow underwater sound with the ANC enabled. Is that normal?
If sony update the shtty adaptive ANC to manual ANC like the xm4 then most people will be happy lol. But it seem like the structure is better than the xm4, but the pads are the disgrace

Yeah, Sony pads kinda suck. Just too flat and thin. And I doubt they'll ever address it after 5 generations of their XM line. I did get Dekoni pads for my XM4, which are much thicker, but the ANC noticeably suffers from it, and it changes the sound signature quite a bit (more bass emphasis). But the comfort at least is greatly improved.

And if I'm not satisfied with any of these options I'm trying now (PX7 S2, EAH-A800, Momentum 4), I might just fall back to XM4 + Dekoni pads and deal with worse ANC, and dial down the bass in EQ settings. I have a long trip to Asia coming up next week.

Or I go to Bose - but not likely. If Bose supported AptX or LDAC I would've considered them. But SBC and AAC are just too crappy on Android.

Sep 1, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 28
So these Technics have like a weird hollow underwater sound with the ANC enabled. Is that normal?

Yeah, Sony pads kinda suck. Just too flat and thin. And I doubt they'll ever address it after 5 generations of their XM line. I did get Dekoni pads for my XM4, which are much thicker, but the ANC noticeably suffers from it, and it changes the sound signature quite a bit (more bass emphasis). But the comfort at least is greatly improved.

And if I'm not satisfied with any of these options I'm trying now (PX7 S2, EAH-A800, Momentum 4), I might just fall back to XM4 + Dekoni pads and deal with worse ANC, and dial down the bass in EQ settings. I have a long trip to Asia coming up next week.

Or I go to Bose - but not likely. If Bose supported AptX or LDAC I would've considered them. But SBC and AAC are just too crappy on Android.
Yep, they suffered quite a lot for the anc so it is normal
Btw, how was the px7 s2 and the momentum 4? I heard a lot of praises about them.

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #22 of 28
Yep, they suffered quite a lot for the anc so it is normal
Btw, how was the px7 s2 and the momentum 4? I heard a lot of praises about them.
I like the sound of the PX7 S2 a lot actually. Very pleasing sound signature. Probably not super neutral, but very musical otherwise. I just wish the ear cups were slightly bigger, so not sure yet I'll keep them. Need to test multi hour wear comfort with them.

M4 arrives tomorrow.

Sep 2, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #23 of 28
I like the sound of the PX7 S2 a lot actually. Very pleasing sound signature. Probably not super neutral, but very musical otherwise. I just wish the ear cups were slightly bigger, so not sure yet I'll keep them. Need to test multi hour wear comfort with them.

M4 arrives tomorrow.
I heard the px8 will be release in some time soon so it can be a better option instead of px7 s2?
Btw, Can't wait for your review about the momentum 4!

Sep 3, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #24 of 28
Dec 22, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #26 of 28
Just got a pair from a friend, the pads are destroyed so i am gonna get a new pair, but most importantly the AUX cable is missing and he doesn't remember what it was.

Can anyone advice/recommend on a audio cable to be able to use it wired? I have looked on technics website but they don't seem to mention any accessory. The manual calls it "detachable cord" and provide no specification.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #27 of 28
Just got a pair from a friend, the pads are destroyed so i am gonna get a new pair, but most importantly the AUX cable is missing and he doesn't remember what it was.

Can anyone advice/recommend on an audio cable to be able to use it wired? I have looked on technics website but they don't seem to mention any accessory. The manual calls it "detachable cord" and provide
It’s a usb-c connection if I recall, right? What are you wanting to connect them to? The headphones have a DAC in them, so usb-c to usb-c will give you the best quality. USB-C to 3.5 for emergency situations is my thought process.

If you have an interest and are in the US and want to pursue the factory replacement parts for them, this is the third party company Technics uses for replacement parts:
https://panasonic.encompass.com/model/MSCEAHA800K

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #28 of 28
It’s a usb-c connection if I recall, right? What are you wanting to connect them to? The headphones have a DAC in them, so usb-c to usb-c will give you the best quality. USB-C to 3.5 for emergency situations is my thought process.

If you have an interest and are in the US and want to pursue the factory replacement parts for them, this is the third party company Technics uses for replacement parts:
https://panasonic.encompass.com/model/MSCEAHA800K
Thx I have the usb cable, but they should also come with a 3.5mm jack, both side male, to be able to use wired on sources that do not have the bluetooth for example.
I am not in the US but i'll check panasonic then, thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back