Technics cans: are they worth to be concidered?
Feb 4, 2004 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

SanS

Head-Fier
A major part of this forum is devoted mostly to discussion concerning a headphones of 4-5 well-known brands...

I wonder: for example, Technics headphones are really so bad sounding that they aren't paid a lot attention here, or they are simply not so well-known (or maybe, not supplied world-wide) that people have nothing to say about them?

Feb 4, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 19
Most likely, Technics is not so well-known. But Panasonic (the parent company of Technics) has never been renowned for their headphones, to begin with - they make way too many different types of products for their own good.

Technics does make some good DJ headphones - but then again, DJ headphones aren't meant for serious music listening to begin with.

Feb 4, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 19
OK!
But Sennheiser and other brands produce cans for audiophiles mostly (in my opinion), because there are a lot of models which are highly-priced but the sound quality doesn't much differes from cheap models of Technics. So you pay more, but get less...(at least for Sennheiser)

So am I right, to say that Technics produces good cans but not overpriced as Sennheiser and other brands do?

Feb 4, 2004 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 19
No, I don't think its fair to say that the audio quality of Technics and Sennheiser doesn't differ much. Not that I'm the most qualified to respond as a relative newcomer, but to the discriminating listener there is a reason for the vast price difference.

Feb 4, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 19
My experience with Sennheiser...

I didn't read a lot reviews about Sennheiser HD500 (unfortunately), and bought a set as an alternative to cheapest cans, which cd-player was sold with. So I thought that sound quality would be better with Sennheiser HD500...

But I was wrong: Sennheiser HD500 ($80) sounded as that cans for less of $3...

Now I know (having read a lot of reviews on Sennheiser HD500) that Sennheiser HD500 is a real shame of Sennheiser. But anyway a cans of $80 must somehow sound better that a cans of $2,8!!!

Am I wrong?
Or, is the real price of Sennheiser HD500 must be less of $15-20?

That's why I think that the Sennheisers are overpriced.

Feb 4, 2004 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 19
I've had a bit of experience with the technics RP-DJ1200 headphones, which retail for approx USD$180. They have a recessed midrange, heavy bass and the treble is very harsh. they sound very cavernous because of the lack of midrange (vocals usually got lost into the background). Granted they're closed cans, and my reference headphone is the open Sony MDR-F1 (RRP USD$200), but i wasn't impressed at the musical side of these cans.

They'd be prefectly fine for trying to beat mix or DJ in some other way, but for music they aren't really worth it. You'd be much better with something as lowly as a HD280, which has a smoother response curve.

I'd put that can in the same basket as the MDR-V700's.

Feb 4, 2004 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 19
The problem with Sennheiser is that they're a huge company that makes a ton of different cans in different price ranges for different markets. You happened to hit upon a stinker with the 500. Technics are more specialized, they only make DJ headphones - which are traditionally rugged, closed, and bassy. Try to find a general purpose Senn that sounds like a Technics - I suppose the closest may be the EH2200 but even then it's not even that close.

Point being, take the best/priciest Technics, put it against the best Senn with a comparable price. If you're looking for overall sounds quality with many different types of music (not just house) Senn will win every time.

Feb 4, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 19
Yeah, all the technics cans ive heard have been worthless. they're not serious headphones, just pretty looking and cheaply made. designed to appeal to someone saying to themself "right ive got the hundred dollar numark turntables and the fifty dollar american dj mixer, now i just need the worthless cans to match"

well... thats what i reckon anyway. i think the techincs cans are far more overpriced than anything in sennheiser's line of headphones. senn at least thinks about how it will sound, how durable it will be etc. panasonic just get some advertising guy to draw a cool looking headphone then build around that.

Feb 4, 2004 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

A major part of this forum is devoted mostly to discussion concerning a headphones of 4-5 well-known brands...

I don't think it's a coincidence that audiophile enthusiasts focus on headphones from specialty manufacturers and recommed the cream of the crop. I want the best possible sound at the best price, and I've bought my share of lousy cans. Head-Fi winnows the field and highlights the winners from each maker's line. If Technics (or anyone else) produced something cheap and wonderful, this is where the news would be trumpeted. The performance, not the maker, is what's important.

Recommendations for budget sources and interconnects are fairly common, so price snobbery doesn't seem to be a factor. What's neat about this place is that thousands of subscribers test the market and report their experiences. We benefit from the collective wisdom. It's cheaper for me to buy one good product on the basis of Head-Fi postings than to run through a bunch of duds on my own. To illustrate, do a search for HD500 and see what you find.

BW

May 17, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by CEO Matt
I've had a bit of experience with the technics RP-DJ1200 headphones, which retail for approx USD$180. They have a recessed midrange, heavy bass and the treble is very harsh.

Just a little comment: I hear all over the net (and myself as well
wink.gif
) that they have gentle trebles, I would say they are very gentle comparing to the bass they were made to produce. I got them just because if the bass work they're able to dig out, nothing comes close from what I've heard.

PS: and I got them for 89 bux + 10 s&h by the way.

May 17, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by davei
Technics are more specialized, they only make DJ headphones

Nope, they also make "hi-fi" headphones the RP-F product line.

I've had a pair of technics rp-f580 but the while the rp-f line may be very comfortable headphones (If not the most comfortable ever), they lake bass mids and have to much treble (every rp-f headphone like the 350,500,580 enz), the soundstage though is not bad.
Stil for the price their not bad headphones, but there are much better headphones out there you can buy instead of the technics.

May 17, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #13 of 19
I had experience with both RP-F580 and RP-F880: 580 had way too much trebble. The 880 has a better balance, but bass lack of punch, not a bad headphone, but I was expecting more.
Both are detailed and comfortable tough.

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanS
My experience with Sennheiser...

I didn't read a lot reviews about Sennheiser HD500 (unfortunately), and bought a set as an alternative to cheapest cans, which cd-player was sold with. So I thought that sound quality would be better with Sennheiser HD500...

But I was wrong: Sennheiser HD500 ($80) sounded as that cans for less of $3...

Now I know (having read a lot of reviews on Sennheiser HD500) that Sennheiser HD500 is a real shame of Sennheiser. But anyway a cans of $80 must somehow sound better that a cans of $2,8!!!

Am I wrong?
Or, is the real price of Sennheiser HD500 must be less of $15-20?

That's why I think that the Sennheisers are overpriced.

I have TECHNICS RP-F290 for 3 years. It was my first headphones. Now I own greater and more expensive cans but still keep Technics in my inventory.
For his price (paid 25GBP in Britain) they are really good.
First of all, they are very light, almost weightless. People were amazed putting my techs on their heads after terrible KOSS. You can wear them 5-8 hours and only then you noticing them on the head.
They have quite good isolation in and out.
Comfortable length of cord - 4.2 m.
1/8" plug with 1/4" adaptor.
Classic headphone view. Nothing more nothing less.
Sound:
I would described sound of this techs as a bit rude and aggressive.
Big advantage - they have no bright highs, such annoying me in almost all modern budget HiFi. How awful listen to rock music in dramatically bright cans (beyers, senns etc.)!
Bass is not very deep but really good, maybe slightly recessed in whole.
Sound stage is not plus of this cans and they are not very detailed but what you want from such cheap cans?
If you are going to listen to rock music I advise this cans to be considered amongst others.
If you seek cans for jazz, classic - try another (more expensive - from 150$ and higher) headphones.
For another money you'll get another sound but I couldn't say it is 5 time difference.

Conclusion:
I agree with you, Sans.
Most of cheap well-advertised brands are overpriced.

Jun 12, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #15 of 19
Unless you are talking about the high definition cans they made.

those are ugly, but they were 'designed' for sacd. friggin pristine specs.

those are most likely very good cans

BUT they are MAAD expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back