Technics 1200 MK2 Turntable
Sep 9, 2007 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cbw

100+ Head-Fier
I have recently found a pair of these on craigslist for $600 OBO without the needles, wondering how good a deal this might be? Obviously if they aren't good condition it wont be worth it, but if they are mint?

I have been wanting to get a vinyl setup going but had been too busy messing with my headphone and portable setups. So any help is appreciated!

Sep 9, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #2 of 9
In the UK, I see them regularly for £300 to £400 for 2 ($600 to $800).

I did see 2 (and a decent mixer) go for £260 last week ($520), but one of the decks needed a new headshell and foot.

Sep 9, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 9
Sep 9, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 9
Well it was for 2 of them without the needles but they guy already sold them so i guess ill keep looking. Thanks for the info guys.

Sep 10, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 9
For just listening to records, you really don't need any more than the SL1210mk2 which can be purchased new from http://www.musiciansfriend.com for $399. All you get with the higher models of the SL is unnecessary DJ features and "upgraded" tonearm wire. The tonearm wire is questionable though as many say they don't notice any difference in sound.

Sep 10, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 9
Sep 10, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the info, that kabusa site has more mods than i know what to do with.

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
What do you plan on using it for? I must recommend you to also check out some new audiophile quality turntables from brands like Pro-ject, Music Hall or Rega.

if you are an "audiophile" and want to listen to vinyl one side at a time through expensive speakers and amps in the comfort of your home, then look away from the Technics 1200's... i used to have a wooden belt-drive table with a Sumiko Blue Point Special cartridge that put my much more expensive digital front-end to shame when compared back-to-back.

if you fancy yourself a "DJ" and want to have a crossfader switch you back and forth between direct-drive backspins and long pitch riding rinse-outs, then get a Technic 1200 setup.  i've had the Mk2 and Mk5G versions, and played on the Mk3 version as well, and believe the Mk3 to be the best.  the Mk5G tables have a button to switch to a +/-16% range (normal is +/-8%) and "upgraded hardware", the Mk2 is basic, while the Mk3 has the best fader with no zero click like the Mk2.  any of these tables are highly modifiable as they've been the industry standard for DJs and clubs for years...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back