Technical scenes for testing
Dec 12, 2009 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

miT

100+ Head-Fier
As I can't find a more fitting section to post this thread in, I thought I may as well post where all the other DH, Smyth, etc discussions take place...

I've got a Silent Cinema set up that I'm happy with (thanks to all the HeadFier's for their input) and I've had a collection of "test" DVDs for a while, my top choices being:

1. Behind Enemy Lines (dts) - the SAM attack and exploding mine scenes
2. The Matrix (DD) - lobby scene and "bullet time" roof scene
3. Signs (dts) - basement scene with the "visitors" running overhead
4. Black Hawk Down (Superbit) (dts) - most battle scenes.

The thing is, I'm sure that I've overlooked loads of other great scenes that are worth trying. What are your favourite DVDs for "technical" surround sound, which scene(s), and why?

I'm looking forward to your replies...
popcorn.gif

T

Dec 12, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 11
Black hawk down for continuos bombardment that´s for sure. Otherwise I just watch as many movies as possible. Most newer movies really have good surround tracks. The intro scene to Apocalypto is great with birds flying around in the saloon. Preferrably speakers though. It´s also good scene to show off your speaker system too with the tapir hunt.

Transformers... Incredibly silly Michael Bay movie but surely have very interesting surround in parts.

Hellboy 2 also had some great battle scenes. Also like ordinary movies where people go from living room, to toilet to kitchen room. Good to test the accoustics since you have a lot of experience how things should sound then.

Dec 12, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 11
Cheers mate. I haven't tried Transformers yet. I watched Revenge of the Fallen the other day and that was pretty good. The ButtKicker made things insane!
icon10.gif

One of the main reasons I like Signs' soundtrack (which I suppose could be included in "ordinary" films?) is that it is quiet/subtle (i.e. not full of explosions, etc). I think in some ways it shows off your system more which is what I really meant by "technical".

P.S. I have a 5.1 system as well. I'm just doing a long comparison on DH and not using them for a bit...

Dec 12, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 11
True. I enjoy the small stuff as well. Seeing how accoustics change going from living room to kitchen and such, trying to guess where that phone is ringing or where that door is shut and see what headphones pulls it off and which doesn´t.

Dec 12, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 11
Got a quick question. Does the soundtrack for the matrix actually sound well recorded on the CD? on the bluray edition of the movie the sound quality is really bad

Dec 12, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Transformers... Incredibly silly Michael Bay movie but surely have very interesting surround in parts.

Yep, Transformers it's good especially is the last 25 minutes, but a little intense, Stealth will be more polite. Apocalypto it's a more mellow option. Some Pixar movies can give a very good reference as well.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks everyone.
bigsmile_face.gif
Please keep them coming...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a quick question. Does the soundtrack for the matrix actually sound well recorded on the CD? on the bluray edition of the movie the sound quality is really bad

I'm assuming you mean the sound effect soundtrack, not the music (sorry, just a bit confused)? From memory, it's not the greatest in the world but it is actually quite an old film now and it seemed to lose a lot of support when the sequels killed the unique greatness of the first film (IMHO)...

Dec 13, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #9 of 11
Technically, soundtrack means the recorded music accompanying a film.
"Scene" would be the best terminology here. In that case, I'd have to say Transformers (downtown battle scene), as well as Saving Private Ryan (Normandy shore scene), both preferably in HD.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically, soundtrack means the recorded music accompanying a film.
"Scene" would be the best terminology here. In that case, I'd have to say Transformers (downtown battle scene), as well as Saving Private Ryan (Normandy shore scene), both preferably in HD.

Good point, I stand corrected. I shall rename the thread.
redface.gif

For reference, The Dark Knight's ost/score/soundtrack is REALLY technical, the bass complicated and fast ("Like a Dog Chasing Cars" is simply breathtaking if your set up can do it justice), along with Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and Transformers (1) being my top soundtrack choices. That's my (slightly) off topic banter over with, for now...
wink.gif

Transformers seems to be one of the main choices for most. If only people didn't give Mr Bay such a hard time over the two films which (let's face it) beat their "predecessors". I was more of a Centurions fan as a sprog (there I go again).

I haven't watched Saving Private Ryan for years. Probably worth a watch then.

Any other favourites out there?

Dec 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 11
Children of Men is great, the part near the end where the two sides are fighting in the middle of the town as Clive Owen is taking the girl through.

There is one awesome part where they all see the baby and it goes totally quiet, then a huge bomb explodes out of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back