Technical input please: Gilmore Lite & Talisman T-3H
Feb 24, 2005 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Flea Bag

500+ Head-Fier
A few months ago, I sought some help on deciding between a few amps in a certain price range. Responses to the thread were great and I thank everyone involved, especially people like sacd lover and Sugano-san. Now I think I’m confident enough to final it down to the Gilmore Lite with Decicated Power Supply and the Talisman T-3H. I am able to walk-in and audition the Talisman T-3H but not the Gilmore but I think they sound similar. That leaves me with how they compare, technically.

In other words, I would just like to ask which amp would be technically better. It’s not a simple question to ask, but my largest concern would be the following:

1)Both amps claim to be ‘Full or Pure Class A’ but it does not specify the conditions in which this is achieved. Are they both pure class A for all headphones of loads 30-600 Ohm?
2)Which amp is more likely to have a higher voltage & current “swing”?
3)If I’m not wrong, both do not depend on opamps for the audio signal but if anyone has looked at both amps in detail, could you give comments on the ups and downs of their design philosophies? (No arguments please!)

It’s not an easy getting the answers to all the above 3 questions and past history shows that such questions rarely get a lot of responses. I just hope for a reply or two. Thanks and have a good day!

Feb 24, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #3 of 24
Flea Bag,

If you can audition the Talisman and like the sound then I say get it. I haven't heard the Gilmore but went through the same "agony" deciding as you.

I can tell you the Talisman leaves the Perreaux v 1 for dead IMHO... better upper highs and much better controlled bass with impact. My MS-pros didn't sound as dynamic with the Perreaux. Also way ahead of the Music Fidelity Xcan3 I auditioned, to my ears. Although I love tube amps like the Xcan3, the Talisman gives you so much more in the upper treble and in tight bass slam. It was the first amp where I said "wow, I can really hear the difference".

After more than six months of use I would rate the Talisman as the last item in my setup to ever need upgrading. Exceptionally good. Kunwar has described the Talisman as an audio bargain!

Yes, I believe it is class A all the way with the Talisman. Plus separate power supply for each channel.

I have heard it with both 30 ohm, 120 ohm and 300 ohm headphones and they all sound good. Absolutely no shortage of power in terms of voltage/current during swings... the MS-pros need lots of power and they shine with the Talisman. And yes no op amps in the signal path.

TonyAAA

Feb 24, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Flea Bag,

If you can audition the Talisman and like the sound then I say get it. I haven't heard the Gilmore but went through the same "agony" deciding as you.

I can tell you the Talisman leaves the Perreaux v 1 for dead IMHO... better upper highs and much better controlled bass with impact. My MS-pros didn't sound as dynamic with the Perreaux. Also way ahead of the Music Fidelity Xcan3 I auditioned, to my ears. Although I love tube amps like the Xcan3, the Talisman gives you so much more in the upper treble and in tight bass slam. It was the first amp where I said "wow, I can really hear the difference".

After more than six months of use I would rate the Talisman as the last item in my setup to ever need upgrading. Exceptionally good. Kunwar has described the Talisman as an audio bargain!

Yes, I believe it is class A all the way with the Talisman. Plus separate power supply for each channel.

I have heard it with both 30 ohm, 120 ohm and 300 ohm headphones and they all sound good. Absolutely no shortage of power in terms of voltage/current during swings... the MS-pros need lots of power and they shine with the Talisman. And yes no op amps in the signal path.

TonyAAA

That's a nice Talisman feature- dual mono, in addition to all Class A and no opamps... I've listened to only a few songs through one, (w/good HDCD source) briefly, and liked what I heard- a lot. I agree... if you like what you hear on the audition, the Talisman's the one to get, excellent though the GL is...

Feb 24, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 24
Thanks for the responses, guys!

To be fair and honest, I'm sure both amps sound brilliant! It's just a matter of 'maximum potential'. I really do not want to upgrade to another SS after this purchase! After this will be either a tube or an integrated amp for speakers.

I've been briefed on the current and voltage performance of the Gilmore Lite and now I think I'll have to e-mail Talisman to see how the T-3H it adds up.

Feb 25, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #7 of 24
And Flea Bag let us know how you go in your search for a complimentary tube amp. I'm a long way off from that yet but have it in my long range sites!!! First a Benchmark DAC1 though....

Will it never end...

TonyAAA

Feb 25, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 24
Well I think there's hope for me yet! Before this thread, I was happily listening to music for about two or three months, coming back to headfi only to look for more info on the equipment I already own!
wink.gif

I predict that with the purchase of this amp, I won't be back for at least half a year. I'm actually buying this amp as a back-up as the LED on my current amp suddenly failed and will need some servicing. I don't want to be left alone!

Unfortunately, I'm also currently looking at the Eddie Current HD25...
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 24
Hrumph... Still no reply from Talisman Audio since Thursday.

At this rate, I might end up purchasing the Corda HA-2 MkII, the Prehead MkI or maybe even the Eddie Current HD25 as I leave my decisions on SS amps to later...

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #10 of 24
Alright, that's it. I've e-mailed Talisman three times from three different e-mail accounts and still no response. I've placed an order for the Pre-Head MkI. About $200 over by original budget
tongue.gif
but I don't think I'll need to purchase another SS amp ever again unless this one breaks down or if I need something portable like maybe the XP-7.

My original requirement for a high-current amp for low impedance phones isn't that important after all as I rarely listen to my Alessandros anymore. Most of my time is spent on the HD600 and K271.

Mar 9, 2005 at 10:31 AM Post #12 of 24
Flea Bag,

Let us know what you think of the pre-head. By all accounts it should be good. No, it should be very good.

Did you try the Australian distributer of Talisman. Headphonic have been very responsive and helpful to me and that's where I purchased mine. Too late I know but just in case others are worried about Talisman responses, Headphonic can deliver.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Mar 9, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #13 of 24
Im considering getting the Gilmore light for my DT770s.I figure shipping is going to be alot cheaper from Virgina than France.Plus less chance of it getting lost.
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Flea Bag,

Let us know what you think of the pre-head. By all accounts it should be good. No, it should be very good.

Did you try the Australian distributer of Talisman. Headphonic have been very responsive and helpful to me and that's where I purchased mine. Too late I know but just in case others are worried about Talisman responses, Headphonic can deliver.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Oh yes, Snufkin's service is great but no offence to him, I had to look elsewhere as:

1. Given the current strength of the Australian dollar, ordering direct from France would have been cheaper.

2. I was told that the stock of the T-3H or T-35HP was out and would, at the time of calling, take around a month or so to arrive. I just couldn't wait that long. My existing amp was malfunctioning and sounding very bright and the sound coming out of my laptop just wouldn't do.

I'll be sure to post a review of the Prehead when I've settled in with it but since I've got no headamp to A/B it with, maybe I'll just write on how it compares to my laptop! Haven't seen that kind of review in a while. Could be good for newbies.
blink.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesbeyondjazz
Im considering getting the Gilmore light for my DT770s.I figure shipping is going to be alot cheaper from Virgina than France.Plus less chance of it getting lost.
icon10.gif

You might want to consider a high-current tube amp as well but it's harder to be content with a stock tube-amp than a simple-solution SS amp like the Gilmore or Talisman. I mean tube-rolling alone will drive me mad. One might also have to consider tube-damping and I'm not sure what else...
rolleyes.gif

That said, I'm still interested in tubes.

Oh and remember to do some research to see if the DT770 and Lite have a good "synergy." Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back