Technica-ATH-A700 or other?
Feb 7, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #31 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mango salsa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought the A700's were great at sound isolation?

I wouldn't say that they are bad at isolation, like the Denons; they do provide a certain amount of isolation, but neither would I say that they provide "great" isolation.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #32 of 46
Drunk, so please forgive any dumb things I saw but here is my attempt at a post...
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I would disagree with geremy, I think they sound horrible compared not just to the AD700, but also to pretty much any semi-respectable headphone in its price range, including the D1000, ES7, RP21. Irregardless of that have you considered the RX900? To me it's superior to the A700, at a lower price. You might also want to consider the A900, I am not a big fan of it but it's a good improvement from the A700 and is at least respectable.

And in case you are looking for a portable phone, the A700 is not a feasible option, it's bulky and doesn't isolate that much. Why is sound leakage a huge issue for you anyway?

If they are truly horrible compared to the AD700 then I will get the AD700. It seems like that is the general agreement anyways..

I looked at the RX900, they are quite a bit cheaper but are they as comfortable and do they provide as good sound or better then the AD700?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mango salsa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i thought the A700's were great at sound isolation?

Me too..., although I am not THAT concerned with sound isolation. It's just an added bonus for the couple of times were that is an issue, like at Lans or when annoying construction is going on, or when family is being noisy watching a movie in the other room with the surround sound blasting.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by drizzt5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drunk, so please forgive any dumb things I saw but here is my attempt at a post...

If they are truly horrible compared to the AD700 then I will get the AD700. It seems like that is the general agreement anyways..

I looked at the RX900, they are quite a bit cheaper but are they as comfortable and do they provide as good sound or better then the AD700?

Me too..., although I am not THAT concerned with sound isolation. It's just an added bonus for the couple of times were that is an issue, like at Lans or when annoying construction is going on, or when family is being noisy watching a movie in the other room with the surround sound blasting.

It's really not that bad at all if you're listening to music or playing games. When someone comes into my room and starts talking I usually cannot hear them, or atleast not understand them if my volume is lower.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #34 of 46
So now the A700 is not respectable? What? How much time have you spent with them and what is your issue? If someone else calls them dark or muddy I'm going to scream bloody murder and say that you have never even listened to them.

EDIT: oh, or veiled.

Maybe my A700s are just special.

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #35 of 46
To the original posters: just buy both at headroom and return the one you don't like. If you can't make the decision it is the easiest way.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the original posters: just buy both at headroom and return the one you don't like. If you can't make the decision it is the easiest way.

This, except I'd buy them at Amazon (cheaper). You can also compare both and report back to us here.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #37 of 46
This whole thing is so confusing isn't it. Seems you are in the same dilemma as I am. I make a decision then when you have to push the button you say, Wait a minute, what about________. I feel like the people in the commercial about travelocity or what ever that was. Oh well that is what makes this hobby so much fun I guess. LOL

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #38 of 46
These phones were mentioned earlier in this thread and they probably warrant your consideration. They've been discussed extensively as gaming headphones on the hardware site hardforum.com in two threads, here and here.

They've also been discussed on head-fi.

I own the RX900 (modded) and I really enjoy them. They're good for watching movies (great soundstage). And I find them comfortable. They offer very solid bass. With modding. the treble and, to a lesser extent, the mids open up, making them more musical too. YMMV, of course.

Feb 7, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #40 of 46
if u think the barracudas sounded good u are in for a surprise! i;ve had the barracudes and they are horrible compared to any of these headphones.

incidentally- the ath-ad500 sounds identical to the ath-ad700 after a long burn in period. yes i had both. any of the audio tehcnica ath and a series cans will make a gamer happy. you can find ath-ad500 on ebay for 50-60. and then get a jvc harx700 (closed can) for 34$ from buy.com. enjoy having a closed and open can!

Feb 7, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #41 of 46
I admit I don't have either of these, nor have I ever heard them. I just want to comment on the open vs. closed struggle I just went through myself.

IMHO it all depends on how much sound leakage in/out will bother you. If you are like me, and your computer is in a main room and people will be walking by all the time that means they will be able to hear exactly what song you are listening to unless there is a lot of background noise.

From what I've read, (FWIR to borrow a term from an audiophile on here) open headphones usually have better SQ and more soundstage, which for a gamer is a huge plus. The only sacrifice is usually bass.

Put it this way, if my computer was in my room, I would have gone for open without much hesitation. The knowledge that people could hear my music would just bother me to the point that I knew I would always turn down the volume when ppl walked past me. I did eventually go for closed (AT ATH-M50). And for bass, I would just save up for a subwoofer
evil_smiley.gif
which is where sound leaking in becomes a plus.

Good luck, either way you go will be a big step up from what you have.

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #44 of 46
Feb 8, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #45 of 46
^ That's what someone here says. I've never tried the 500, but the 700 are great phones. Personally, I'd drop the extra $20 (it's $80 vs. $100 on Amazon) to get the AD700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back